2008: The Digital Rummage

Discussions on Asian cinemas: Japanese, Korean, Thai, ....

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:12 pm

cal42 wrote:I recently joined the next-gen by buying a Blu-ray player.

Speaking of Blu-Ray, I noticed BCI has a couple of old Shaw titles coming out on the format in January, OPIUM AND THE KUNG-FU MASTER:
http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.548 ... etails.htm
and LIFE GAMBLE:
http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.548 ... etails.htm

Not familiar with these titles as I haven't yet watched the HK versions I picked up a few thousand years ago, but the latter has an audio commentary (on the DVD version as well) with director and one of the actors. Funny how BCI can source actual participants from a 30 year old action picture for a commentary track, but certain other companies with larger budgets continually trot out the same old "expert." ;) Mind you, the presence of Ric Meyers liner notes on both of these releases is a concern, I suppose . . .

And speaking of sales, I'd imagine the Deep Discount/DVD Planet 20% sales will be starting soon. DVD Planet has taken their Quote Machine down for "maintenance" ;) which is usually a sign they're not buying for a while until after the big sale. I shipped off a big box of stuff to them this past weekend, but I was kinda hoping to repeat the process this coming weekend, but guess I'll have to wait for now. It's quite cathartic to actually lessen "the collection" after all these years, especially when it's possible to nearly break even on titles I picked up in various bargain bins and sales.
Brian Thibodeau

Postby cal42 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:59 pm

No, I'm not familiar with thos either. Looks like certain people haven't quite got the hang of Blu-ray yet - that site says "Region 1 Blu-ray"!

Compatibility is more of an issue than with good old DVD. Region-free Blu-ray players are not as easy to come by and there's talk that certain firmware updates might reset any tinkering. In the end I decided to just have a Region B. I'm told (although I don't know how reliable this info is) that there haven't been any specific Region C BDs made yet, and I kind of get the impression a lot of stuff isn't coded even from Region A territories.

I also have this feeling that there's only so much you can do with an old Shaw Brothers flick, know what I mean?

Kung Fu Hustle looked pretty nice, though.
Heroes of the East - the only blog in the world with the world famous Lam Suet-o-meter!
cal42

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:02 am

cal42 wrote:Compatibility is more of an issue than with good old DVD. Region-free Blu-ray players are not as easy to come by and there's talk that certain firmware updates might reset any tinkering. In the end I decided to just have a Region B. I'm told (although I don't know how reliable this info is) that there haven't been any specific Region C BDs made yet, and I kind of get the impression a lot of stuff isn't coded even from Region A territories.

Yeah, I guess I'm not overly worried about region coding etc. since my Blu purchases are largely going to be domestic anyways. I'll probably not bother with many Hong Kong movies on the format, as I can only imagine the newer ones will be well-served by it. Outside of the occasional bargain sale on Blu discs, like the three mentioned in my previous post (of which only two could I call essential to me), I've limited my exposure to the format to the cream of the crop (as I see it, anyways! :lol:). And that crop will be much smaller than it was with DVD. Besides, DVDs just keep getting cheaper, which is a great way to fill in gaps etc., and I'm sure I'll be downloading someday once I've got the technology to pipe 'em direct to my TV. Having watched a few of these Blu discs on players owned by both family and friends, though, I'm impressed enough to want to upgrade certain longtime favourites.

On a scrounge-related note, I was happy to discover one of northern Toronto's few remaining legitimate Chinese entertainment retailers, Broadcast Book and Gift, has opened TWO new shops in two different Chinese malls near my office, and are offering 20% off at all five of their locations to honour the event. Not sure how they're surviving with four of the five shops surrounded by bootleggers, but whatever they're doing (negotiating lower lease rates? night jobs?), I hope they keep doing it. Picked up a small batch of oldies on the way home tonight:

DVDs
IRONSIDE 426 (Fortune Star; 1977)
VICE SQUAD 633 (Fortune Star; 1979)
BREEZE OF JULY (Edko; 2008)

VCD
ONCE UPON A TIME (Fortune Star; 1978) Sylvia Chang's directorial debut, so had to check it out.

Might hit another location tomorrow. Pretty decent prices on a lot of stuff, though I still gotta watch the budget for a while! :lol:
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:25 pm

Apparently the Deep Discount/DVD Planet sales start tomorrow (Friday), though quite possibly later today if history serves. I'm assuming the usual codes will apply:
http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6611054.html

And they've raised the discount to 25% this year, which is kinda cool. I've read that some of their prices have gone up slightly, too, which isn't so cool, but looking at my wish lists, quite a few items have stayed the same so far . . .

EDIT:

Codes for Deep Discount:
DVDTALK
USATODAY
NYTIMES
SUPERSALE
PRICESEARCH
SUMMERSALE
YAHOO
ESPN
LATIMES
XM
SOUTHSIDE
WGN
JIM
DEALNEWS
WLS
PRICEGRABBER
DD1109
SAVE

Codes for DVD Planet:
25OFFSALE (use multiple times, supposedly)
SALE
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:23 am

From the sales (prices reflect the discount)

Deep Discount:

THE ULTIMATE MATRIX COLLECTION BLU-RAY $56.14
NINJA COLLECTION, THE $6.22 :oops:
EXPLOITATION CINEMA DOUBLE FEATURE: CEMETERY GIRLS/VAMPIRE HOOKERS $5.38
EXPLOITATION CINEMA DOUBLE FEATURE: SATAN'S SLAVE/TERROR
$5.38
COLD WAR HYSTERIA $6.22
SS HELL PACK TRIPLE FEATURE (Media Blasters) $9.22
4 FILM FAVOURITES: NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET 5-8 $8.21
4 FILM FAVOURITES: NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET 1-4 $8.21

(managed to unload the old Elm Street box set for well more than the cost of these, thank goodness. Ripped the bonus disc for good measure ;) )

DVD Planet (used some accumulated credit on these)

First three are from the Legend
PHASE IV$7.29
DEADLE BEES$7.29
THE SKULL $7.29
HOLLYWOOD CHAINSAW HOOKERS $6.74 a shameless guilty pleasure
MIDNIGHT MOVIE COLLECTION II (1971) $9.73 (More Steckler junk, but wanted the two with Joe Bob commentaries. Will probably sell the rest)
42nd STREET FOREVER - VOL. 3: EXPLOITATION EXPLOSION$9.73

Couldn't find much else I needed or wanted, which is nice for a change, and hopefully leaves me some funding for more Hong Kong stuff over the winter. :lol:
Brian Thibodeau

Postby cal42 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:51 pm

A couple more Blu-ray purchases (I've been uncharacteristically restrained so far):

Journey to the Centre of the Earth 3D - complete fluff and utterly pointless when watched in 2D probably, but entertaining enough with the novelty of glasses. Watching Magnificent Bodyguards left me curious on the fad as I hadn't seen a 3D movie since I was knee-high to a grasshopper.

Chocolate - bit of an impulse buy, as I hadn't been able to read anything on the disc. I've not been truly impressed with the Thai films I've seen so far (which isn't many), so I don't know how I'm going to find it. Like Japanese films from the 70's, I often find I want to like them more than I end up liking them.

Still waiting for 2001. Oh, and I'm aware I said 3:10 from Yuma earlier in the thread. It's the sadly overlooked prequel to the hit film... :P
Heroes of the East - the only blog in the world with the world famous Lam Suet-o-meter!
cal42

Postby Masterofoneinchpunch » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:02 am

cal42 wrote:A couple more Blu-ray purchases (I've been uncharacteristically restrained so far):

Journey to the Centre of the Earth 3D - complete fluff and utterly pointless when watched in 2D probably, but entertaining enough with the novelty of glasses. Watching Magnificent Bodyguards left me curious on the fad as I hadn't seen a 3D movie since I was knee-high to a grasshopper.

Chocolate - bit of an impulse buy, as I hadn't been able to read anything on the disc. I've not been truly impressed with the Thai films I've seen so far (which isn't many), so I don't know how I'm going to find it. Like Japanese films from the 70's, I often find I want to like them more than I end up liking them.

I feel pretty much the same way about Journey though I do get bored with that basic 3-D.

On the Thai films: I love them for what they are (the action ones): stuntmen killing themselves for our enjoyment. The stunts in Born to Fight (either one) were quite awesome (as well the the Tony Ja led films; I've seen a few of him in small roles, those movies like Spirited Killer are not as good :D).

Now the Legend of Suryithai(sp), I don't know how to classify that one.
My Amazon Reviews

“That’s Icky to Infinity.” – The Tick
Masterofoneinchpunch

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:52 pm

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:Really looking forward to getting EXTERMINATING ANGEL whenever that will be.

Digging back a few months to July to find Shawn's mention of this film, but apparently Criterion has plans to release it in February. Two-disc set no less. 8)
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Masterofoneinchpunch » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:00 pm

Brian Thibodeau wrote:
Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:Really looking forward to getting EXTERMINATING ANGEL whenever that will be.

Digging back a few months to July to find Shawn's mention of this film, but apparently Criterion has plans to release it in February. Two-disc set no less. 8)

I love trying to find old posts :D. Yeah, I will be getting that :). I've bought so much of late with some great sales (had trouble with a criterion.com sale unfortunately, if you make a mistake in your credit information you have to phone in to change it, I refused to do that, so I lost that order). I do have quite a bit of criterions (working on eventually getting all :)).

I've caught up again on all the Image/Celestial R1 releases (so that means Thunderbolt Fist -- which is not a good fim) and Dragon Dynasty (so that means The Rebel which I did not care for; however, a friend of mind absolutely loves that film, saw it when he went back to Vietnam actually).

Tropic Thunder 2-Disc unrated edition (2008)
Wall*E 3-disc (2008)
FOX HORROR CLASSICS V.02
KENJI MIZOGUCHI'S FALLEN WOMEN-ECLIPSE set
AMERICAN SILENT HORROR COLLECTION the Kino set
Black Belt (2008)
Touch of Zen -- yes the Tai Seng version.
CHAPLIN MUTUAL COMEDIES
Brief Encounter - Criterion Collection
Naked City - Criterion Collection
Marlon Brando 4-Movie Collection
Spike Lee Joint Collection
James Stewart: Screen Legends
What Time Is It There? (2002)
My Amazon Reviews

Masterofoneinchpunch

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:18 pm

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:I've bought so much of late with some great sales

Ditto. Got one last order in with DVD Planet's 25% off sale:.

Two Blu-Rays, both upgrades to long-sold DVDs:
BARAKA (BR)
THE THIRD MAN (Criterion, BR)

and some regular stuff

TREASURES III: Social Issues in American Film (1930)
DISNEY TREASURES: THE CHRONOLOGICAL DONALD Vol.4
PIECES (sold an old OOP public domain disc of this on ebay for about $40 a few years back :shock:)
UNIVERSAL CLASSIC SCI-FI ULTIMATE COLLECTION: VOL. 1 & 2 (individually, these were U.S. Best Buy exclusives a year or two ago, and I managed to auction both sets off for sweet $$$ before this mass-market version hit. Just sold an extra copy of Best Buy's UNIVERSAL HORROR ARCHIVES exclusive set on Craigslist for $60 - original price $20. Probably should've tried for more!)

Itching to pull the trigger on three Blu-Ray upgrades in the Amazon Buy 2 Get One Free Sale:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/?docId=1000304041
But since those cost actual money, I'm still debating it with my wallet***. :lol: Besides, the sale runs until Dec. 31, so there's time.

I suspect my Blu collection will grow much more cautiously than my DVD collection did. It's kinda nice to be choosy with this format. Despite there being what, a few thousand titles already, I just can't justify the upgrade of probably 90+% of my stuff when the improvement over DVD isn't as significant as the improvement of DVD over VHS. Plus, there's a very large portion of my DVD collection that I'd happily part with when downloads are more commonplace, consistent, portable, and of largely the same quality as discs, which isn't too far off.

*** this is due in large part to a nearby Chinese video/music store putting their entire stock of legit DVDs and CDs on sale for Buy 1 Get 1 Free. With individual DVD prices ranging from $7 to $10 (including most of the Legendary Collection titles and a lot of older bits 'n bobs, catalogue type stuff mostly), I had a very difficult time leaving the store without declaring bankruptcy (but saved a ton on shipping costs from Hong Kong and other points east). My only fear is that the sale's a sign they're either going out of business, or switching to bootlegs. Guess I'll see. Now hopefully those Laroque boys don't read this before I can back there for a second helping!! :lol: I'll try and post the titles shortly
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Masterofoneinchpunch » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:10 pm

Brian Thibodeau wrote:...Two Blu-Rays, both upgrades to long-sold DVDs:
BARAKA (BR)
THE THIRD MAN (Criterion, BR)

... Just sold an extra copy of Best Buy's UNIVERSAL HORROR ARCHIVES exclusive set on Craigslist for $60 - original price $20. Probably should've tried for more!)[/i]

I'm not sure when I'll upgrade to blu-ray, though since today Criterion has, I might soon (or at least buy the Criterion copies). I heard the Chungking Express blu-ray has less features than the regular though. I might be picking that up today (if Best Buy has it).

Since Baraka went on Ebert's great movie list I'll eventually get it.

I am so glad that I bought UNIVERSAL HORROR ARCHIVES (Did I ever post my review of that here :D), though I'm not the biggest fan of the "exclusive" DVDs which you can't get the movies elsewhere.
My Amazon Reviews

Masterofoneinchpunch

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:35 pm

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:I heard the Chungking Express blu-ray has less features than the regular though. I might be picking that up today (if Best Buy has it).

It's interesting how relatively little is on that disc in the way of extras, but some mainstream reviews I've read not surprisingly state that the material is up to Criterion's usual standards. Just finished going through the supplements on Criterion's HOUSE OF GAMES (interviews, commentary) and found them to be just right as usual -- no fluff, plenty of insight. As with many Criterion overviews, you get a deeper "feel" for the film rather the usual "everything on the table" onslaught of technical know-how and studio/cast gladhanding.

Since Baraka went on Ebert's great movie list I'll eventually get it.

I come back to this one every few years when I just need to wind down to some phenomenal imagery. I personally rank it above similar shows like Koyannisqatsi and Powaquatsi because it's themes are less heavy-handed. Not that those aren't great films and all . . .

I am so glad that I bought UNIVERSAL HORROR ARCHIVES (Did I ever post my review of that here :D), though I'm not the biggest fan of the "exclusive" DVDs which you can't get the movies elsewhere.

I'd suspect this set will see a mainstream release at some point (perhaps I should sell my other copy while the value is there?). Most of the Best Buy exclusives have, including the recent Warner sci-fi double features. Perhaps they're waiting to do an "exclusive" Vol. 2 before they package the two together like they did with the sci-fi sets. Those sets, incidentally, contain some of the greatest sci-fi movies of the atom age 50's. Universal really cranked 'em out back then, and many of the ten in the Best Buy sets are quintessential viewing.
Brian Thibodeau

Postby cal42 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:44 pm

On the subject of Chungking Express, my mate sent me this link today, knowing of my fondness for this particular film. It sounds fantastic, and I say sod the extras, I just want to watch the film. I haven't watched it in years simply because we've had a truly crap release here and I've been holding out for better...

...and will have to wait even longer. This baby is region locked, apparently, so only you Region A people will be able to see it.

You lucky lucky bastards!
cal42

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:44 pm

cal42 wrote:On the subject of Chungking Express, my mate sent me this link today, knowing of my fondness for this particular film. It sounds fantastic, and I say sod the extras, I just want to watch the film. I haven't watched it in years simply because we've had a truly crap release here and I've been holding out for better...

...and will have to wait even longer. This baby is region locked, apparently, so only you Region A people will be able to see it.

You lucky lucky bastards!

Chungking Express is definitely one I'd upgrade even if it was only to ditch the old Miramax edition with Quentin Tarantino's face slapped above the poster. As if such a film ever needed validation from him. As to the region thing, region-free players are gaining ground, so basically you could buy it now and just. you know, touch the case in anticipation every once in a while. ;)
Brian Thibodeau

Postby cal42 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:36 am

Argh, don't get me started on the whole Quentin Tarantino thing - it's the reason why I've still never watched Hero, good though I'm sure it is. I was surprised his name wasn't all over Machine Girl, actually. It's the kind of film I'd expect him to be creaming his jeans over.

Back to Wong Kar-Wai, I don't know why, since DVD started, we just never get his films over here. ALL were released in the VHS days (and were given a really good release) but now, the best we get (pre-In the Mood, which I never cared for) is a crappy transfer of Chungking Express. I really want to see stuff like Fallen Angels and Happy Together again, but I don't want mangled subs if I can help it.
cal42

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:26 pm

In case anyone's looking for Black Friday bargains, Amazon has apparently started early with some wild deals on Blu-Ray and DVD:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/5 ... ale-3.html
(linked to page 3 as that's where most of the real deals seem to be popping up)

Amazon's main Blu-Ray/DVD page:
http://www.amazon.com/DVD-Sale/b/ref=am ... B001AQO3U6

Plenty of big-ticket Blu-Rays seem to be dropping to $8.99-$9.99 (Flags of Our Fathers, Transformers, Trading Places, Untouchables, Crank, The Bank Job, with more expected on Friday, though only two here I'd consider better than rentals). Sure beats bothering with the stores (for those who live in the U.S., that is! ;) ). The prices seem to fluctuate on some titles, so best to keep an eye peeled.

Also, Deep Discount has a good sale on box sets right now:
http://www.deepdiscount.com/DVD-Holiday ... iewcat.htm

Picked up some great documentary sets:
A HISTORY OF BRITAIN (5 disc slimcase): $12.14 (a personal all-time fave - I love nearly everything Simon Schama does)
ENGINEERING AN EMPIRE: COLLECTOR'S EDITION (6 disc): $18.22
THE UNIVERSE SEASON ONE (4 disc): $13.66

Argh, don't get me started on the whole Quentin Tarantino thing - it's the reason why I've still never watched Hero, good though I'm sure it is. I was surprised his name wasn't all over Machine Girl, actually. It's the kind of film I'd expect him to be creaming his jeans over.

His name seems to turn up on fewer imports over here these days, thank goodness. The only thing of recent vintage that I can recall Tarantino slapping his name all over is an awful U.S. DTV movie by Larry Bishop called HELL RIDE. Perhaps his Asian fetish died down after he got KILL BILL out of his system. [/quote]
Last edited by Brian Thibodeau on Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:16 pm

Another good Amazon sale for you Blu converts:
Buy 3 Save $20, Buy 6 Save $50, Buy 10 Save $100
Good deal on the already marked-down 6 Bond Blu-rays ($47 total :shock:, even less if you buy four more). Apparently, there's a pre-existing $15 discount for buying them in groups of two, thus the lower $7.80-ish price.

EDIT: So naturally I just had to bite:

CANCELLED, then REORDERED (see below)
Mad Men - Season One [Blu-ray] $16.99 (one of the very few tv series I don't mind owning, but only at a price like that)

Die Another Day[Blu-ray]
For Your Eyes Only [Blu-ray]
From Russia with Love [Blu-ray]
Dr. No [Blu-ray]
Thunderball [Blu-ray]
Live and Let Die [Blu-ray]
$7.91 US per disc. :D

Plus some early Black Friday deals from yesterday (Black Thursday??)

The Untouchables (Special Collector's Edition) [Blu-ray] $9.99
Transformers (Two-Disc Special Edition + BD Live) [Blu-ray] $9.99 (this could end up as a gift, as I'm not sure it's an all time fave like the others here. Never know)
Sleeping Beauty (Two-Disc Platinum Edition + Standard DVD and BD Live) [Blu-ray] $19.99
Die Hard Collection [Blu-ray] $54.99 (could have had this a fair bit cheaper at Frys.com, but can't win 'em all)

DOUBLE EDIT:

Sneaky buggers. Amazon lowered the prices even further on the James Bond Blu-Rays, so I cancelled the first order above (Bond & Madmen), then reordered it and added one more of each Bond Blu, which further drop's the price on the Bonds to $6.65 U.S. Not too bad. (the duplicates will be on Amazon's Canadian marketplace in no time, where I'll easily make back the cost of this whole order 8) ) Dig these savings:

Items: $226.87
Shipping & Handling: $14.86
Best Value Savings: -$30.00 (for buying the Bonds in certain pairs; a pre-existing promo)
Super Saver Discount: -$14.86
Blu-ray Promotion: -$100.00

Order Total: $96.87 (for 13 Blu-Rays)
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Mike Thomason » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:38 pm

And now, a special tip for Brian! You remember how you were asking about Outlaw Brothers some time back in this thread? Well, the Hong Kong Legends disc is now going cheap at Amazon UK...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Outlaw-Brothers ... 321&sr=1-1

...and it's 16:9 anamorphic, as well as restored and remastered. There's only ten seconds of cuts to the UK version (but it's ten seconds removed of that godawful scene where all that horrendous cruelty/violence is inflicted upon those poor chickens), so this might be "best version available" material! Plus, it has an interview with Ms Oshima :)

I've already ordered mine (to replace that dud Malaysian edition I wasted money on a while back). ;)
http://eyeswidescreen.wordpress.com/ (Due for a sporadic return throughout 2010)
Mike Thomason

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:42 pm

Mike Thomason wrote:And now, a special tip for Brian! You remember how you were asking about Outlaw Brothers some time back in this thread? Well, the Hong Kong Legends disc is now going cheap at Amazon UK...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Outlaw-Brothers ... 321&sr=1-1

Thanks Mike! Duly wishlisted. I'm very close to putting an order in there for a couple of other items I can't get anywhere else, so hopefully that price stays in effect for a little longer. Pretty sure I can live without a few seconds of animal abuse. :lol:
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Mike Thomason » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:40 pm

December Purchases

54 (Director's cut) (US) (DVD)
Angel Heart (US) (2-DVD)
Batman Begins (US) (2-DVD)
The Big Bounce (US) (DVD)
The Bone Collector (US) (DVD)
Boogie Nights (US) (DVD)
Born to Fight (Thailand) (DVD)
Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason (UK) (DVD)
The Butterfly Lovers (Hong Kong) (2-DVD)
The Cave (US) (DVD)
Click (US) (DVD)
Cloverfield (US) (2-DVD)
Connected (Hong Kong) (2-DVD)
Coyote Ugly (Director's cut) (US) (DVD)
The Dark Knight (US) (2-DVD)
Doomsday (UK) (DVD)
The Doug McClure Fantasy Adventure Triple Bill
- At the Earth's Core (UK) (DVD)
- The Land That Time Forgot (UK) (DVD)
- Warlords of Atlantis (UK) (DVD)
Dr. No (UK) (2-DVD)
Dracula 2000 (US) (DVD)
Dynamite Warrior (Thailand) (DVD)
Euro Trip (unrated) (US) (DVD)
The Forbidden Legend: Sex & Chopsticks (Hong Kong) (DVD)
From Russia with Love (UK) (2-DVD)
Goldfinger (UK) (2-DVD)
Good Luck Chuck (unrated) (US) (DVD)
A Good Year (US) (DVD)
The Hammer Horror Series (UK) (2-DVD)
Hana-Bi (Japan) (DVD)
Ice Age (US) (2-DVD)
Jindabyne (Australia) (DVD)
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (US) (DVD)
La Lingerie (Hong Kong) (DVD)
Little Children (US) (DVD)
Little Fish (Australia) (DVD)
Love is Elsewhere (Hong Kong) (DVD)
Men in Black (US) (DVD)
Men in Black II (US) (2-DVD)
Miami Vice (US) (DVD)
Mindhunters (US) (DVD)
My Wife is a Gambling Maestro (Hong Kong) (DVD)
Nim's Island (US) (DVD)
The Outlaw Brothers (Hong Kong) (DVD)
Pathology (US) (DVD)
Road Trip (unrated) (US) (DVD)
Rush Hour 3 (US) (2-DVD)
Russ Meyer's Vixens Trilogy box-set
- Vixen (US) (DVD)
- Supervixens (US) (DVD)
- Beneath the Valley of the Ultravixens (US) (DVD)
Scare 2 Die (Hong Kong) (DVD)
See You in You Tube (Hong Kong) (DVD)
Serenity (US) (DVD)
The Sleeping Dictionary (UK) (DVD)
Sleepy Hollow (US) (DVD)
Sparrow (Hong Kong) (DVD)
Superbad (US) (DVD)
The Sweetest Thing (US) (DVD)
Takeshi KItano Boxset
- Violent Cop (Japan) (DVD)
- Boiling Point (Japan) (DVD)
- Sonatine (Japan) (DVD)
Thunderball (UK) (2-DVD)
Traffic (US) (DVD)
Urban Legends: Bloody Mary (US) (DVD)
Vampires (US) (DVD)
Vantage Point (US) (DVD)
Wanted (US) (2-DVD)
You Only Live Twice (UK) (2-DVD)
Zoolander (US) (DVD)

...and that's it! I'm done, with little to no likelihood of a return in '09 -- all the best for the future and keep up the good work. :D
Last edited by Mike Thomason on Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:55 pm, edited 14 times in total.
http://eyeswidescreen.wordpress.com/ (Due for a sporadic return throughout 2010)
Mike Thomason

Postby Masterofoneinchpunch » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:09 pm

cal42 wrote:Argh, don't get me started on the whole Quentin Tarantino thing - it's the reason why I've still never watched Hero, good though I'm sure it is. I was surprised his name wasn't all over Machine Girl, actually. It's the kind of film I'd expect him to be creaming his jeans over.

Back to Wong Kar-Wai, I don't know why, since DVD started, we just never get his films over here. ALL were released in the VHS days (and were given a really good release) but now, the best we get (pre-In the Mood, which I never cared for) is a crappy transfer of Chungking Express. I really want to see stuff like Fallen Angels and Happy Together again, but I don't want mangled subs if I can help it.

Hero is quite good, actually Quentin helped it come out here without the 95 minute Europe Miramax bastard cut -- so I really don't understand the Tarantino hate on that one.

Yeah the Kino Wong Kar-Wai films leave a lot to be desired (went through AS TEARS GO BY and DAYS OF BEING WILD the past two months). Had to catch up to watch the new Criterion release which I'll be getting soon (for some reason Best Buy does not carry it and neither did FYE).
My Amazon Reviews

Masterofoneinchpunch

Postby cal42 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:28 pm

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:
Hero is quite good, actually Quentin helped it come out here without the 95 minute Europe Miramax bastard cut -- so I really don't understand the Tarantino hate on that one.

I get really uncomfortable seeing his name on something he had absolutely nothing to do with producing, that's all. I've just looked and my version runs for 95 minutes - I take it I should dump it after all then? :cry:

I can't complain too much I suppose - it only cost me £6.99...which is the best version to go for?
cal42

Postby Masterofoneinchpunch » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:56 pm

cal42 wrote:
Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:

I get really uncomfortable seeing his name on something he had absolutely nothing to do with producing, that's all. I've just looked and my version runs for 95 minutes - I take it I should dump it after all then? :cry:

I can't complain too much I suppose - it only cost me £6.99...which is the best version to go for?

Doing some research I see that there is a longer "China" version, but that is not the theatrical release (and longer is not always better :D).

The Miramax version is good not great (one of the few times I can say that about a Miramax Asian release); though the subtitles could be better. In order to get the R1 released without cuts Weinstein would only do it if Tarantino put his name on it (like on Iron Monkey) -- yeah Tarantino had nothing to do with it, but he did help in getting it out over here. So I cannot pick on him in this instance (though I still can over Kill Bill :D).

Here is DVD Beaver on it: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare9/hero.htm

Looks like your copy is most likely fine (I'm not sure about the cut version vs. the non-cut -- it might have just been the theaterical release).
My Amazon Reviews

Masterofoneinchpunch

Postby KMGor » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:22 pm

I just bought the Dragon Dynasty release of One-Armed Swordsman. I already have the Thai boxset of all three Shaw One-Armed Swordsmen films, but all of those have some kind of PAL-NTSC transfer error which leaves massive interlacing artifacts. Plus, this has some nice extras. And it only costs $3. :D
KMGor

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:56 am

KMGor wrote:And it only costs $3. :D

Now that's a fair price for a Dragon Dynasty title! :lol:

Where?
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:25 am

Mentioned these earlier, found some time to list them. Picked them up, including the new releases :shock:, in a 2-for-1 sale at the ever-reliable Chinese entertainment store just down the road. Not sure how they could afford to do this with all the bootleggers in the greater area, but do it they did (and they're restocking, too, so hopefully that's a good sign). The sale's still on for another couple week's, so I might head over again this weekend, then subsist on bread and water for the winter! This joint sells the Legendary Collection titles for $10CDN a pop, so the bunch below worked out to 2 for $10, which puts them virtually on par with the prices at DDDHouse, while the rest ranged from $10 to $13CDN each, so still a very good deal at 2-for-1, plus no shipping/waiting/floaters from Hong Kong for a change, though they'll be getting my return business soon enough. A few of the older titles will be revisits, as my first viewings date from a time before I took notes and/or when I rented or borrowed a lot of stuff from friends.

Rule #1 (08 )
City Without Baseball (08 )
The Pretty Women (08 )
The Luckiest Man (08 )
The Beasts (80)
Lonely 15 (82; no subs :( )
Happy 16 (82; no subs :( )
Eight Taels of Gold (89)
Esprit D'Amour (83)
Transmigration Romance (91)

Fortune Star Legendary Collection titles:
Lucky Encounter (92)
Wonder Women (87)
Killer's Nocturne (87)
The Wild Ones (89)
Stooges In Tokyo (91)
Under the Rose (92)
Carry On Pickpocket (82)
Erotic Ghost Story III (92)
Heaven Can Help (84)
The Trail (82)
Yuppie Fantasia (89)
The Master (92)
Her Vengeance (88 ) wishing this wasn't cut, but can't win 'em all
Love Unto Wastes (86)
Web of Deception (89)
For Your Heart Only (85)
Moon, Sun, Star (88 )
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:29 am

I promise myself I'm only going out for egg tarts, but the Buy One Get One DVD sale was still on at the video store in the same plaza, so I'm utterly powerless . . . again:

PAINTED SKIN (08; Panorama )
LA LINGERIE (08; Mei Ah )

PAPER MARRIAGE (88; Fortune Star )
FAITHFULLY YOURS (88; Fortune Star )
INTELLECTUAL TRIO (85; Fortune Star)
ENERGETIC 21 (82; Fortune Star)
MURDER (92; Megastar)
THE CRAZY COMPANIES (88; Universe)
INCREDIBLE RUMOUR (1968, and sadly one of the few Winson oldies with English subs :( )

and some Shaws:
INTIMATE CONFESSIONS OF A CHINESE COURTESAN (upgrading from a VCD)
LUST FOR LOVE OF A CHINESE COURTESAN (ditto)
LOST SOULS 8)

and from Japan
CHANBARA BEAUTY (07; CN Entertainment) aka Oneechanbara. Fun flick. Definitely rates sequels, and much better than I'd expected.
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Masterofoneinchpunch » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:13 pm

Non-Asian picks the past few weeks:

Martin Scorsese Collection (After Hours/Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore/Goodfellas/Mean Streets/Who's That Knocking At My Door?) (1985)
Chaplin Mutual Comedies: Restored 90th Anniversary Edition
Shaft's Big Score (1972)
Shaft in Africa (1973)
Cloverfield
I am Legend 2-disc
Run Fatboy Run
The Bank Job
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
Frank Sinatra - The Golden Years Collection (Some Came Running / The Man with the Golden Arm / The Tender Trap / None but the Brave / Marriage on the Rocks)
The Simpsons - The Complete Tenth Season (1998)
Cinderella Man (Widescreen Edition) (2005)
The Blues Brothers (Widescreen 25th Anniversary Edition) (1980)
Leatherheads (Widescreen) (2008)
School for Scoundrels (Unrated Widescreen Edition) (2006)
Nights of Cabiria – Criterion
Indiscretion of an American Wife – Criterion
The Incredible Hulk (Three-Disc Special Edition)
My Blueberry Nights
My Amazon Reviews

Masterofoneinchpunch

Postby KMGor » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:49 am

Brian Thibodeau wrote:
KMGor wrote:And it only costs $3. :D

Now that's a fair price for a Dragon Dynasty title! :lol:

Where?

It was in a 3 for $10 bin in Suncoast. Probably don't have those up there. The chain is slowly dying. But yeah, I also picked up 1408 and the two disc version of the Mist, all for $10. They had three other Dragon Dynasty releases, including My Young Auntie (already have it) and Crime Story (friend ended up buying that, last copy). Oh yes, and that Jacky Wu Jing boxing film - forget the name.
KMGor

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:17 pm

KMGor wrote:It was in a 3 for $10 bin in Suncoast. Probably don't have those up there. The chain is slowly dying. But yeah, I also picked up 1408 and the two disc version of the Mist, all for $10. They had three other Dragon Dynasty releases, including My Young Auntie (already have it) and Crime Story (friend ended up buying that, last copy). Oh yes, and that Jacky Wu Jing boxing film - forget the name.

Funny, I was just about to post about this. A thread over at DVD Talk mentions the bin titles. They're also available at FYE, Sam Goody and something called Coconuts (?). Titles included so far are:

ABOVE THE LAW (Yuen Biao),
ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN (as mentioned)
CRIME STORY (ditto)
MY YOUNG AUNTIE (ditto)
FATAL CONTACT (the Wu Jing film)
BORN TO FIGHT
CITY OF VIOLENCE

We'll be popping over the border Christmas weekend, and there's an FYE in the mall there, so hopefully this bin might still be available (ironically, I was just there last weekend, in the store no less, but didn't spend enough time looking around). I'd like to get that CITY OF VIOLENCE since it has all the extras from the Korean edition but with subtitles, plus, if I recall correctly, no Bey Logan! :P ABOVE THE LAW is also tempting, but I'm fairly content to revisit my Universe DVD with both versions of the film intact, so I'm not sure the newer edition offers anything crucial. Then again, three bucks . . .

Of course, despite this chain of stores slowly going mams up (downloads, people!), this could also be taken as a sign that several of DD's titles were never destined to be big sellers or have long shelf lives. That saddens me . . . somewhat. ;)
Brian Thibodeau

PreviousNext

Return to Asian Movies