koreanfilm.org

Discussions on Asian cinemas: Japanese, Korean, Thai, ....

koreanfilm.org

Postby ewaffle » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:16 am

Darcy Paquet's site has been offline for a while. Anyone know if it is gone forever or if he will be resurfacing in another venue?
"I stopped being half-witted and became sly whenever I took the trouble."
Samuel Beckett, "Molloy"
ewaffle

Re: koreanfilm.org

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:57 am

It's been down over a week now. I was thinking of mentioning it here, too.

The forum discussion there had dwindled in recent months, especially as the "glow" seemed to have faded a bit on Korean cinema on both the local and international level (this was inevitable, really, but there's still some excellent movies coming out, if less movies overall thanks to skittish investment and illegal streaming/downloading).

I really do hope the site isn't down for good. If you're looking to access it for the time being, Archive.org seems to be the only option, though the last archive took place in late 2007, so anything beyond that is hostage to the ether right now :(:
http://web.archive.org/web/200711252141 ... nfilm.org/
Brian Thibodeau

Postby dleedlee » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:05 am

Here's what I see when I checked just now:

This Web Hosting Account Has Been Suspended

There are a few reasons this may have occurred:

There is an overdue invoice in on your account. Please log into the billing area and pay any outstanding amount.

Your account was consuming too many resources in the system (CPU time, RAM, disk activity). A suspension is a last-ditch action we take to restore service to other accounts on the same server. Please contact support so we can work with you to get service restored as quickly as possible.

We were required to disable access to your account by law (commonly DMCA violations). You can contact support to learn the details

Seems odd, as you say, the forum has been pretty slow. Maybe his site has been hijacked and it's been used for something nefarious or something.

I shot him a message to see what's up.
???? Better to light a candle than curse the darkness; Measure twice, cut once.
Pinyin to Wade-Giles. Cantonese names file
dleedlee
HKMDB Immortal

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:18 am

Yeah, that's the message I got last week, too. :(

I do know the forums were plagued on a regular basis with "posts" advertising cell phones and running shoes and the like. I wonder if they got hit a little too hard at some point?
Brian Thibodeau

Postby dleedlee » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:05 pm

Just noticed, koreanfilm.org is back. :)
???? Better to light a candle than curse the darkness; Measure twice, cut once.
Pinyin to Wade-Giles. Cantonese names file
dleedlee
HKMDB Immortal

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:28 pm

Thanks for the update. Hope it stays around for a while. :)
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:08 pm

Looks like the forums at Koreanfilm.org went bye-bye . . . for good this time. What a waste.

Darcy Paquet has set up a new forum, but everything that came before is lost to the ages, as he details in this sad first post on the new site:

http://www.koreanfilm.org/discussion/vi ... hp?f=2&t=2

Apparently he's trying to get some of it back, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it because of those visions of the great Mobius Meltdown from a few years ago that keep dancing around my head. Why can't people look after their stuff?! :evil: For now, the best I could do was log in and post links to archive.org, where some (but far from all) of the forum discussions are backed up.

The bugs had been obvious for a while, but like so many similar sites on the webtubethingies, it looks like infrequent traffic, complacency, outmoded forum software and a disinterested owner encouraged the inevitable disaster. Shame to see it gone.
Brian Thibodeau

Return to Asian Movies