Taiwanese songs in soundtracks

Taiwanese songs in soundtracks

Postby Okun » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:07 am

excuse my ignorance, but is there a reason for HK films use lots of taiwanese songs in their soundtrack? or they just found the song to be nice for that scene? i ask this because here usually soundtracks are chosen from what´s "cool" at the time, e.g. , if cool to look like Indians, everyone star using indian songs and so on....

And stitching another quesion...does anyone know the name of the the taiwanese song that plays in the restaurant scene of Better Tomorrow?

Thx!
Okun

Re: Taiwanese songs in soundtracks

Postby bierce » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:52 am

Okun wrote:
And stitching another quesion...does anyone know the name of the the taiwanese song that plays in the restaurant scene of Better Tomorrow?

Thx!

The song's name in Chinese is 免失志 (lit. dont feel discouraged?) by Xiaoyun Chen 陳小雲. Its a pretty old song and is sung in the Taiwanese (Minnan) dialect.
Actually besides A Better Tomorrow, if there are movies with Taiwanese songs, I would imagine most of them are actually locally produced Taiwanese movies from the 1980s.
bierce

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:23 am

Lots of actor/singers in Hong Kong movies hail from Taiwan originally, so perhaps that's another reason Taiwanese pop (T-Pop?) appears on soundtracks. Just guessing, though.
Brian Thibodeau

Return to Hong Kong Soundtracks and Songs