mandarin or cantonese

Discussions about Hong Kong Movies

Re: mandarin or cantonese

Postby pjshimmer » Mon Mar 19, 2001 12:57 am

Most Shaw Bros movies have Mandarin as original language (thank god), and 99% of the HK movies after 1985 are of original Cantonese language. Most of them are still available in both languages on DVD/VCD versions (some are even English dubbed).<br><br>For Shaw Bros productions, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF ENGLISH DUBBED VERSIONS, most movies by the venoms, Ti Lung, Fu Sheng, Chen Kwan Tai, Tsui Sui Keung, Ching Li, and Ivy Ling Po are in Mandarin, while the majority starring Jimmy Wang Yu, Lo Lieh(early stuff), Cheng Pei Pei and Gordon Liu are usually in Cantonese. For some movies like Chinese Super Ninja, 5 Masters of Death and Buddhist Fist, it is impossible to obtain a version with original language tracks. I find that to be a shame.<br><br>Just for my personal preference, I always select a Mandarin version whenever possible, for I am a Mandarin speaker. But Cantonese is still better than the awfully chessy English dub, especially those on earlier kung fu films.<br><br>
<b>"Film will only become an art when its materials are as inexpensive as pencil and paper."</b> -- Jean Cocteau

What's a good movie? <b>"You may love it; you may hate it. But let him who is not a ghost dare say that he has felt nothing."</b>
pjshimmer

1 more note

Postby pjshimmer » Mon Mar 19, 2001 12:59 am

For earlier movies, there usually won't be both Cantonese and Mandarin language versions available. If Brave Archer is in Mandarin, then you just can't find a Cantonese version for that. However, for new wave movies, just buy the DVD and you'll usually have both languages, so you don't have to worry about which one being the original track.<br><br>
<b>"Film will only become an art when its materials are as inexpensive as pencil and paper."</b> -- Jean Cocteau

What's a good movie? <b>"You may love it; you may hate it. But let him who is not a ghost dare say that he has felt nothing."</b>
pjshimmer

Postby Masterofoneinchpunch » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:10 pm

Quick question: is there a post or site or nice reference that has the number of Cantonese language films from the 60s and 70s. I know Bordwell is quoted as saying there are no 1972 Cantonese films and only 1 1973 (The House of 72 Tenants) but I was wondering if there are some more references on this?

I have Shaw's Cantonese and Mandarin output figures from 1955 to 1964 and Cathy/MP & GI's figures from 1955 to 1967 (from China Forever: The Shaw Brothers and Diasporic CInema).
My Amazon Reviews

“That’s Icky to Infinity.” – The Tick
Masterofoneinchpunch

Postby dleedlee » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:47 pm

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:Quick question: is there a post or site or nice reference that has the number of Cantonese language films from the 60s and 70s. I know Bordwell is quoted as saying there are no 1972 Cantonese films and only 1 1973 (The House of 72 Tenants) but I was wondering if there are some more references on this?

I have Shaw's Cantonese and Mandarin output figures from 1955 to 1964 and Cathy/MP & GI's figures from 1955 to 1967 (from China Forever: The Shaw Brothers and Diasporic CInema).

I've posted it a couple times. :D

Scroll down here
http://hkmdb.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=49525

or here
http://hkmdb.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=49754

*The numbers are from lists of Cantonese films from HKIFF/HKFA publications on the 60's and 70's era.
???? Better to light a candle than curse the darkness; Measure twice, cut once.
Pinyin to Wade-Giles. Cantonese names file
dleedlee
HKMDB Immortal

Postby Masterofoneinchpunch » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:52 pm

dleedlee wrote:...I've posted it a couple times. :D

Scroll down here

or here

*The numbers are from lists of Cantonese films from HKIFF/HKFA publications on the 60's and 70's era.

Thank you.

I knew I saw it but I could not remember where. I looked on a few sites. I will bookmark one of those threads, but we really need to maybe have a thread or a reference section
My Amazon Reviews

Masterofoneinchpunch

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:35 pm

dleedlee wrote:I've posted it a couple times. :D

Scroll down here

or here

Thanks a BUNCH for providing those links!! I was looking for the same info a few weeks back, for unrelated reasons, and went nuts trying to find the thread where you posted it. What a relief! :lol:

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:but we really need to maybe have a thread or a reference section

Oh, we need LOTS of things around here!

Brian Thibodeau

Postby dleedlee » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:37 pm

Thanks a BUNCH for providing those links!! I was looking for the same info a few weeks back, for unrelated reasons, and went nuts trying to find the thread where you posted it. What a relief!

Took ME a while to find the post, too!
???? Better to light a candle than curse the darkness; Measure twice, cut once.
Pinyin to Wade-Giles. Cantonese names file
dleedlee
HKMDB Immortal

Postby Masterofoneinchpunch » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:34 pm

I was thinking that if the correct languages (where pertinent) were assigned to the movies it would be easy to sum each year. Of course first you would have to query which films did not have languages assigned to them.
My Amazon Reviews

Masterofoneinchpunch

Return to Hong Kong Movies