Hong Kong B-Movies: My biggest ask yet!!!

Discussions about Hong Kong Movies

Hong Kong B-Movies: My biggest ask yet!!!

Postby Mike Thomason » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:31 pm

I've decided that, amongst everything else, that now is as good a time as any to start rifling through the back catalogue of unseen B-movies (and a few A-list ones*) from Hong Kong that I had intentions to see...but never did. I am looking for feedback, by way of filtering the list down to a manageable length, over what should stay and what should go out of the following titles I've compiled...and it's a BIG list!

If it's not on this list, I've either already seen it or have a copy of the film on DVD in my possession (yes, I've watched an incredibly number of HK movies in the last six years!) -- these are (virtually) solely B-movies that I had, at one point or another, decided I wanted to see and for whatever reason never got around to. I'm not interested in the AV quality of the DVDs, as I watch movies...not count bitrates! Thus, the simple ask is: vote in or vote out, that's all. I can source all of these titles on legit, original DVDs for $5AUD or less, so quantity isn't an issue either. So, without further ado, here's the list:

Bishonen (1998)*
Chinese Erotic Ghost Story (1998)
The Longest Summer (1998)*
Step Into The Dark (1998)
The Suspect (1998)*
Take Five (1998)
Believe It Or Not (1999)
The Deadly Camp (1999)
Fascination Amour (1999)
Gigolo Of Chinese Hollywood (1999)
He Is My Enemy, Partner & Father-in-law (1999)
Immortal Spirit (1999)
Life In Last Hour (1999)
The Mirror (1999)
Never Compromise (1999)
Red Rain (1999)
Temptation Of An Angel (1999)
The Truth About Jane & Sam (1999)*
The Untold Story III (1999)
Water Margin: Heroes Sex Stories (1999)
Black Cat In Jail (2000)
Cold War (2000)
Crying Heart (2000)
Don’t Look Back…Or You’ll Be Sorry (2000)*
IQ Dudettes (2000)*
Model From Hell (2000)
Sound From The Dark (2000)
Sworn Revenge (2000)
The Teacher Without Chalk (2000)
Twilight Garden (2000)
What Is A Good Teacher (2000)*
Wishful Milenio (2000)
Clueless (2001)
The Comic King (2001)
Dark War (2001)
Doctor No… (2001)
Fighting To Survive (2001)
Final Romance (2001)*
Gangs 2001 (2001)
Heroes In Love (2001)
Leaving In Sorrow (2001)
Manhattan Midnight (2001)
Merry Go Round (2001)*
Mist In Judge (2001)
Sex Medusa (2001)
There Is A Secret In My Soup (2001)
Women’s Private Parts (2001)
An Autumn Diary (2002)*
Happy Family (2002)*
Love Is Butterfly (2002)
Loving Him (2002)
Market’s Romance (2002)
Public Toilet (2002)*
Reunion (2002)
Time 4 Hope (2002)*
U Man (2002)
Darkness Bride (2003)
Fu Bo (2003)*
Let’s Love Hong Kong (2003)
Sky Of Love (2003)*
A Wedding Or A Funeral (2003)
Forbidden Wet Tales (2004)

Let me know what should be pushed up in priority, what should be pushed down, or what should be pushed out completely. :)

Thanks in advance!
Mike Thomason

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:20 pm

Not sure I would push anything out completely, as even the worst direct-to-video Hong Kong trash, such as CLUELESS, can be preferable torture to similar fare emanating from the U.S. and Europe these days. Plus, as your other posts suggest your extensive purchases are in the service of a larger project (your website, I assume?), it can't hurt to be as completist as time and money allow, right?

Like you, I'm not a bitrate-counter. I find a great many such folks at other forums (as do you, I'm sure ;) ) and while I appreciate the work of quality watchdogs for the premium releases of quintessential titles I might upgrade, there really is simply too much stuff out there I've yet to see - and want to see!! And with high-def formats inevitably driving down retail prices on current standard formats like DVD and VCD, it's a fantastic time to be into Hong Kong cinema.

To wit, I just spent the weekend in Toronto and took advantage of my girlfriend having to work a few hours on Saturday to hunt for more HK bargains. My last trip netted tonnes of VCDs at the bargain price of 4/$10 CDN. This time, I found another Chinese media store that had three big boxes stuffed with VCDs for only $2 each! Mostly B-level stuff, with a few A's here and there, but overall a super-cheap way to stock up on lesser fare. Between these two hauls, I actually scored all but about 15 titles on your list ( :shock: ), but have yet to find the time to watch them!! I'm not sure how AUS$5 compares to CDN$2, but regardless it's probably a steal even if you end up unloading them after they've been incorporated into your work.

If I HAD to move some titles down, based on the few I've actually watched, I'd put these near the bottom:

CLUELESS
THE MIRROR
UNTOLD STORY III
FINAL ROMANCE (the curse of Edison Chen!!)

These could go in the middle:
STEP INTO THE DARK
COLD WAR
COMIC KING

Not much help, I know, but it's good to know I'm not the only one who's just trying to see everything! :wink:
Brian Thibodeau

Postby dleedlee » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:45 pm

U Man (2002) :evil: :evil: :evil: Hated it.
???? Better to light a candle than curse the darkness; Measure twice, cut once.
Pinyin to Wade-Giles. Cantonese names file
dleedlee
HKMDB Immortal

Postby Mike Thomason » Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:17 pm

Brian Thibodeau wrote:Plus, as your other posts suggest your extensive purchases are in the service of a larger project (your website, I assume?), it can't hurt to be as completist as time and money allow, right?

If I HAD to move some titles down, based on the few I've actually watched, I'd put these near the bottom:

CLUELESS
THE MIRROR
UNTOLD STORY III
FINAL ROMANCE (the curse of Edison Chen!!)

These could go in the middle:
STEP INTO THE DARK
COLD WAR
COMIC KING

Not much help, I know, but it's good to know I'm not the only one who's just trying to see everything! :wink:

You assume correctly, good sir! Yes, backfill for the ongoing saga that is Eyes Wide Screen! Though my designer isn't currently answering my emails, I'm sure it'll all be back on track in the near future -- I don't expect him to answer at present, as I know he's swamped with paying work and also has a new daughter to contend with. In the interim, I've been working earnestly on new reviews, as well revamping/remodelling/finishing off some older ones, for inclusion on site once it gets off the ground properly. Barely a couple of days goes by without me having written up something new (which, realistically, due to length and non-HK specific origins, are not prime inclusions for the DB herein); I even knocked out a review for Cousin Mak's WITHOUT WORDS just yesterday...;)

Not much help? Au-contraire! All feedback is good feedback, and I had the sneaking suspicion I've been doing the wrong thing by putting off STEP INTO THE DARK for so long. Hmmm, an outright "hate" vote for U-MAN? I've a bad habit of taking dislike votes to heart and then purchasing a film everyone else hates just to see how bad it really is...:P

As I said, anything not on this list is pretty much a guaranteed "already watched"...so try playing with the DB's timeline filter and that should give you an idea exactly how many HK films I've seen in the last six years. It near boggled my mind when I checked for myself... :shock:
Mike Thomason

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:36 pm

Barely a couple of days goes by without me having written up something new

I know the feeling! Time is always at a premium, and I'm far more prolific in the winter than I am in the summer, when the great outdoors (and my girlfriend ;) ) beckon! But having an end goal makes it all worthwhile.

As I said, anything not on this list is pretty much a guaranteed "already watched"

Even both versions of RAPED BY AN ANGEL 5? :D

The complete late 1990's ouevre of Simon Loui? :D :D

The full CRAZY SCUM filmmography? :D :D :D :D

You are indeed a busy boy...
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Mike Thomason » Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:00 pm

Maybe I've over-stepped the concept of what I've managed to see here...okay, let's say, for clarification that I've seen near ALL of the mainstream (theatrical), and lion's share of DTV commercial-slanted, releases from the past six years or so. That might paint me in a better light...:P

Brian Thibodeau wrote:Even both versions of RAPED BY AN ANGEL 5? :D

Heh, only Billy Tang's version...

Brian Thibodeau wrote:The complete late 1990's ouevre of Simon Loui? :D :D

This is, very likely, a GOOD probability! I've maybe missed half a dozen or so of his films? Good heavens! I just had a look at his DB entry and I'm actually quite horrified at how MANY of his films I HAVE seen! MOST of the 90s stuff, not a lot of the '99 stuff, and nearly the whole swag of his post-2000 titles! I am truly more deranged than I thought I was... :shock:

Brian Thibodeau wrote:The full CRAZY SCUM filmography? :D :D :D :D

This all said, there are even some places that I WON'T go! Hahaha! :D
Mike Thomason

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:16 pm

This all said, there are even some places that I WON'T go!

That's OK. I go to these places in honour of the less brave souls. It's a dirty job... 8)

not a lot of the '99 stuff

I'm almost thinking of calling this Simon Loui's "Blonde Period," since it seems he did a ton of DTV product for the same company in which he was a) the only "name" person in the cast (although Roy Cheung filled in for a couple of 'em) and b) had that close cropped blonde 'do. In another thread, I mentioned recently visiting a store in Toronto that was unloading VCDs at two bucks a pop, and while I didn't grab these particular titles, they had nearly ALL of the Blonde Period films in the mix. Figured I'd get them next time since they're not likely going anywhere and I have this...thing...for C-movies. ;)
Brian Thibodeau

Postby cal42 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:21 pm

Am I the only one who's not seen a single one of these films? I think there's only a couple I've even heard of!

I have to admit "Women's Private Parts" sounds interesting. I'd watch that one first and then let me know if it's any good :P .
cal42

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:58 pm

I think WOMEN'S PRIVATE PARTS is a documentary about...well, women's private parts. I've heard good things about it, actually. If you're looking for films that showcase actual women's private parts, well, that's a whole 'nother list, but you could probably get a good start over in the category III forum. :)
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:35 pm

Suddenly remembered THE LONGEST SUMMER was in your list. I'd move that one to the top of the pile. I honestly thought that was one of the best films of 1998. Solid performances, plenty of political subtext and a rather frank examination of nationalism and identity among Hong Kong citizens in a post-colonialist limbo. Great stuff with plenty of remarkable moments, not least the darkly humourous opening sequence.
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Taijikid » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:24 am

I have seen two of the movies on your list. The Danny Lee/Nick Cheung film He is My Enemy, Partner and Father-in-Law is passable good fun, with able support from a couple of my favorites, Lam Suet and Helena Law. Never Compromise is probably one of the worst movies I have seen in recent months, so low budget that most of it takes place on a small houseboat, and complete with cheesy music and a scenery-chewing performance by Francis Ng, who should have known better. That DVD left my collection quickly.

I remember Women's Private Parts getting some good reviews somewhere when it was released. Although I haven't seen that particular movie, I have seen Barbara Wong's second film, Truth or Dare, and found it to be creative and entertaining. I would bet that Women's Private Parts, which was her first, would be worth a watch.
Taijikid

Postby dleedlee » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:39 am

She also followed up with a Men's Private Parts now listed as Women's Private Parts 2. The DVD is not subbed though.
dleedlee
HKMDB Immortal

Postby Taijikid » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:26 pm

Dleedlee--

Thanks for the alert about the follow-up to Barbara Wong's documentary. I have had Women's Private Parts on my wish list for awhile now, and I will add the second movie when someone releases it with English subs.

And thanks, by the way, for your daily news updates. They don't replace Sanney's site, but they do help me keep up a bit with HK movie/cultural happenings.
Taijikid

Postby Mike Thomason » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:37 pm

Brian Thibodeau wrote:Suddenly remembered THE LONGEST SUMMER was in your list. I'd move that one to the top of the pile. I honestly thought that was one of the best films of 1998.

I went to order this, and a few others off the list today, and guess what? It's @#$% well gone OOP! :x
Mike Thomason

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:22 pm

I went to order this, and a few others off the list today, and guess what? It's @#$% well gone OOP!

It kills me the stuff that goes OOP sometimes, with nary a peep from the distributors or the internet community. Of course, it's usually after I've seen the titles sitting in a chinese video/gift shop for months, if not years, at steadily reducing prices. Then when I find out it may be my last chance to grab them, they're gone! :evil:
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Taijikid » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:11 am

Mike--

I re-read your list and noticed a third movie that I have seen--Untold Story III. The plot bears little resemblance to the first two Untold Stories, except that it is also derived from HK tabloid fodder. No Anthony Wong here--instead we have four teens who get in trouble with a loan shark and decide to solve their problem with violence. As with the first entry in the series, the strength of the movie lies in the performances and in the direction. Yau and his actors manage to convey the confused desperation of the young men, while refusing to downplay the brutality of their act and its consequences. At the end of the movie, I had a lot of sympathy, both for the victim and for the perpetrators of the crime. I would give it a solid recommendation.

Vicki
Taijikid

Postby dleedlee » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:27 am

Taijikid wrote:Dleedlee--

And thanks, by the way, for your daily news updates. They don't replace Sanney's site, but they do help me keep up a bit with HK movie/cultural happenings.

Thanks, I used to be a contributor to Sanney's site. When I started up here I thought it would only a temporary stop gap until Sanney returned. Unfortunately, Sanney's condition was more serious than anticipated.
dleedlee
HKMDB Immortal

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:18 pm

Mike

I just noticed THE SUSPECT in your list. Not sure how I missed that one, but that's another one I'd move up somewhere between the middle and the top in terms of quality (amongst the batch you're interested in, at least). Assuming this is the Ringo Lam movie starring Julian Cheung, Louis Koo and Simon Yam, I thought it was a fairly muscular crime thriller, perhaps not as good as premium-grade Ringo, but still solidly built for what it is, with a politically-charged screenplay and some decent action scenes by Phillip Ko Fei. Though the package visuals allude to THE USUAL SUSPECTS, there's almost nothing similar between the two films. I saw this was a recent purchase over in your "2006 Digital Odyssey" thread, so I had to put my two cents in. ;)
Brian Thibodeau

Postby MrBooth » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:10 am

I'll add a +1 for Longest Summer and U-Man and a -1 for Time 4 Hope. Fubo... I dunno, I wouldn't watch it again, but guess I'm glad I saw it?
MrBooth
HKMDB Immortal

Re: Hong Kong B-Movies: My biggest ask yet!!!

Postby Contrai » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:07 am

Take Five (1998)

There's a Murder scene at the Technical School of Arts, but the guys don't care about it. The caretaker [ Elvis Tsui ] runs around in a Leon - The Professional outfit, the priest [ Cheung Tat Ming ] with "Satan is the killer !" and so on.
Found it quite strange and interesting. It wanted to be a mix between Scream and Scary Movie, but couldn't handle it. There a lot of scenes not making sense and i especially didn't get the finale.
I gave a 5/10, due to the title.

The Deadly Camp (1999)

Backwood slasher. Very simple, stupid, raucous.
Could have some more ideas and was far away from a good horror-pic, but i gave 4/10.

He Is My Enemy, Partner & Father-in-law (1999)

Low - budget. Aman Cheung Min as director. The unfunny Danny Lee and Nick Cheung in a comedy. Of course you can watch that, but you won't miss anything. Except a short scene at Macau, shot like a Tony Scott movie. Still try some of the 80ties Danny Lee movies instead.
3.5/10

Never Compromise (1999)

Tried to be Cat 3 reprise, but was more of a late night tv flick. Simon Loui is actual good in that, but only because his mate Francis Ng is really bad. Yu Rong Guang as a chinese cop has nothing to do. There's no gore, no action, just overacting by Ng. Unspectacular.
3.5/10

Red Rain (1999)

Medium of a Thinking Man's action pic without action and a brainless Shoot 'em Up. Without action. Actual it's not a bad movie, but could have been so much better.
Caught between two stools.
5/10

Sworn Revenge (2000)

Surreal perfomance at the provincial backwater. Amanda Lee wents sleeping with jeans and pullover. Michael Chow is hunted by marshmellow ghosts. Puh. Thats bad. Skip it.
2/10

The Comic King (2001)

I forgot it. It's more of a Ménage à trois between a writer, an illustrator and a gal. Added by some Nicholas Tse scenes as comic hero. It's not American Splendor.

The Untold Story III (1999)
„Whats up you Man ? Why it takes that long ?“ [ Officer Danny Lee asking ]
3/10
Contrai

Return to Hong Kong Movies