Nick Eriksson

Discussions about Hong Kong Movies

Nick Eriksson

Postby Fan » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:29 pm

Watched this program last night, which is about this young man and his Hong Kong movies dream....I'm quite impressed by his determination and amazed that HK movies can change someone's life like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQU5GcsWC-8 (starts at 1:47)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=221vizQmncM

Nick Eriksson, 21-year-old, British, got a chance to watch "Infernal Affairs" six years ago. He was deeply attracted to it and watched for more than thirty times. Since then, he got hooked to Hong Kong movies.

To pursue his Hong Kong movies dream, non-Chinese speaking Nick, left his family, his peaceful homeland, his comfortable life, went to Hong Kong alone and staying in a less than 100 sq feet room in Shamshuipo. He can only afford two pieces of furniture – one wooden desk and an old TV from a recycling store.

In order to get into the movie industry, Nick made numerous phone calls to production companies, he's willing to do whatever jobs he can do, he doesn't mind long working hours and low wages, just looking for an opportunity to participate to a movie production.

Living in an unstable and poor life, entangled in dreams and reality, Nick said seriously that he cherishes everything he has now, because those all come from his own efforts.

Original text
Fan

Re: Nick Eriksson

Postby dleedlee » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:15 pm

Thanks, Fan!
Good luck to Nick and his positive spirit.
???? Better to light a candle than curse the darkness; Measure twice, cut once.
Pinyin to Wade-Giles. Cantonese names file
dleedlee
HKMDB Immortal

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:03 am

Does the program give any indication of what Nick Eriksson currently does for a living while he's in Hong Kong? It sounds like he's still looking to break into the film community there, but his laptop, home internet service, blackberry and high-end camera suggest he's already earning income (unless those toys are from home). I truly envy his ability to pack up and pursue his dream job (in the coolest city on earth, no less). Perhaps we'll have his name here in the DB some day!

I really dig that DVD/VCD store he visits in the second part of the program, and wonder if such legit retailers are as scarce in Hong Kong as they are here in Toronto? :lol:

Though I'll only ever to be able to visit Hong Kong as a tourist (but hopefully more than once!), I'd happily offer my services as an extra, heroic or villainous gwailo, tea lady or grip to any Hong Kong production that comes to Toronto in the future. :D
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Fan » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:53 pm

Does the program give any indication of what Nick Eriksson currently does for a living while he's in Hong Kong? It sounds like he's still looking to break into the film community there, but his laptop, home internet service, blackberry and high-end camera suggest he's already earning income (unless those toys are from home).

He is currently out of job. Once got a part-time English script edit work, so the notebook he's using in the program was borrowed from the movie company. He couldn't afford home internet service so had to go outside for the free WIFI service.

Was a bit surprised for seeing the blackberry but afterall, as mentioned in the program, he's from a middle-class family. :wink:

I truly envy his ability to pack up and pursue his dream job (in the coolest city on earth, no less). Perhaps we'll have his name here in the DB some day!

Here's a "hot" city, I'm afraid and wonder how he can survive if doesn't have an air con at home.

I really dig that DVD/VCD store he visits in the second part of the program, and wonder if such legit retailers are as scarce in Hong Kong as they are here in Toronto? :lol:

Definitely not as much as we had before the mid 90s. Not sure about other districts, I saw some small ones in Shamshuipo and Tsuen Wan, some larger ones in Mongkok and Wanchai.

...I'd happily offer my services as an extra, heroic or villainous gwailo, tea lady or grip to any Hong Kong production that comes to Toronto in the future. :D

Your talents must be more than that...you can sing too! :D
Fan

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:35 pm

Fan wrote:He is currently out of job. Once got a part-time English script edit work, so the notebook he's using in the program was borrowed from the movie company. He couldn't afford home internet service so had to go outside for the free WIFI service.

Thanks for the information! I guess he may still be behind on his rent! :lol: In one scene, he's surfing the web in his apartment, but like you say, he's from a middle-class family, which may have some advantages he doesn't want to reveal because it won't mesh with the hardscrabble image he's cultivating. Despite it all, I have to give the guy credit for pursuing such a difficult goal. He mentions photography as the area he'd like to pursue, but English script edit work would also be a good sideline. It's too bad the industry didn't seem to have such a position over the past decades to "punch up" some of the awkward English sequences in so many films and help the actors come off more naturally.

Definitely not as much as we had before the mid 90s. Not sure about other districts, I saw some small ones in Shamshuipo and Tsuen Wan, some larger ones in Mongkok and Wanchai.

Well, that's better than nothing. I'll bet the pirates there are as popular as they are here, but I'm glad both cities have at least a few shops that are still "above the board." ;)

Your talents must be more than that...you can sing too! :D

My singing might get me fired on the first day! Actually, my "tea lady" skills probably won't win any new friends, either. :lol: I might have a shot with my poor acting ability, based on other gwailos I've seen in Hong Kong movies! :P Still, maybe being a grip is the best way to go . . .
Brian Thibodeau

Postby dleedlee » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:47 pm

What , you didn't apply for the intership with Bey Logan yet?

http://www.alivenotdead.com/beylogan/In ... 19688.html
???? Better to light a candle than curse the darkness; Measure twice, cut once.
Pinyin to Wade-Giles. Cantonese names file
dleedlee
HKMDB Immortal

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:56 am

dleedlee wrote:What , you didn't apply for the intership with Bey Logan yet?

http://www.alivenotdead.com/beylogan/In ... 19688.html

:lol:

There are few lesser forms of employment than intern. And in this case, it's not even employment, really. More like indentured servitude, I'm sure. And depending on what company it's with--some branch of the Weinstein Company, perhaps?--one wonders how long the gig will even last! :lol:
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Fan » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:09 pm

Oh! Reminds me of the movie "Swimming With Sharks".

I guess, at least it won't be something like modelling agencies scams, so why not giving it a shot? :wink:
Fan

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:16 am

Fan wrote:Oh! Reminds me of the movie "Swimming With Sharks".

Exactly!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2SLAgrouiw :D

Fan wrote:I guess, at least it won't be something like modelling agencies scams, so why not giving it a shot? :wink:

:lol: I like making money, not helping Bey Logan make money.
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Fan » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:31 pm

Just found out he's now working for Bey Logan...will it be really "Swimming With Sharks"? :wink:

http://www.alivenotdead.com/beylogan/6- ... 83162.html
Fan

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:21 pm

Fan wrote:Just found out he's now working for Bey Logan...will it be really "Swimming With Sharks"? :wink:

http://www.alivenotdead.com/beylogan/6- ... 83162.html

I'm not quite sure about this. In that blog entry, Logan writes:

I received a lot of help from my then protege Nick Eriksson, who worked on the updated draft.

. . . which suggests he's no longer in Bey's employ. Perhaps it was just a one-time gig so Bey could get some free scriptwork done.
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Fan » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:33 pm

Brian Thibodeau wrote:. . . which suggests he's no longer in Bey's employ. Perhaps it was just a one-time gig so Bey could get some free scriptwork done.

Oh....it's "more of learning than an earning experience", really can't keep anyone for too long. :wink:
Fan

Return to Hong Kong Movies