Postby cheungchowai » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:05 am

??????????
1998???????????????
2007??????????????????????????????????
2008?????????III??????????
2009?????????????????

Olympic Sai-wan Lau as Production Designer :
“Xiu Xiu(aka “Tian Yu”)” , directed by Joan Chen (1998);
“Lust Caution” , directed by Ang Lee(2007), nominated for Best Art Direction at the Golden Horse Award;
“The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor” (2008) (Art Director);
“Dong Feng Yu” (2009), directed by Yun-long Liu.
cheungchowai

Re: Olympic Lau

Postby dleedlee » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:23 pm

First two credits were entered in our db under Art Director, Mummy not captured in our db as it's a US production.
http://hkmdb.com/db/people/view.mhtml?i ... ay_set=eng

re: East Wind, Rain
Is Olympic Lau costume designer? I had Yi Zhenzhou as art/production designer. Do the articles below support that?

Yi Zhenzhou
http://big5.cri.cn/gate/big5/gb.cri.cn/ ... 487507.htm

Costume design
http://big5.cri.cn/gate/big5/gb.cri.cn/ ... 503269.htm
???? Better to light a candle than curse the darkness; Measure twice, cut once.
Pinyin to Wade-Giles. Cantonese names file
dleedlee
HKMDB Immortal

Postby cheungchowai » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:05 am

I worked in the 'Dong Feng Yu'. Namely Lau was the Costume Designer, but he actually did the job of a Production Designer. It's because certain people in the Art Dept. were not doing well. Director Yun-long Liu asked Lau to cover their jobs. You'll see from the below link that he also designed the set of a night club.
http://ent.sina.com.cn/m/c/2009-05-21/12402531140.shtml
All crew members took him as the real PD, though I don't know what his title 's gonna be.

As for 'Lust Caution', on the film's ending rolling credits, he is the Executive Production Designer. His name was nominated together with Pan Lai at the Golden Horse Film Festival. So he IS not just one of the Art Directors.

I've updated my list as below:
Olympic Sai-wan Lau?aka Shi-yun Liu?’s filmography in current years :
1. As Costume Designer in“Dong Feng Yu”(2009), directed by Yun-long Liu;
2. As Art Director in “The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor” (2008);
3. As Executive Production Designer in “Lust Caution” , directed by Ang Lee(2007), nominated for Best Art Direction at the Golden Horse Award;
4. As Production Designer in “Xiu Xiu(aka “Tian Yu”)” , directed by Joan Chen (1998).

Thx !!!!
cheungchowai

Postby dleedlee » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:56 pm

I worked in the 'Dong Feng Yu'. Namely Lau was the Costume Designer, but he actually did the job of a Production Designer. It's because certain people in the Art Dept. were not doing well. Director Yun-long Liu asked Lau to cover their jobs.

Well I guess you would know then! And thanks for the clarification and link.

re: Art Director vs Production Designer - it is a shortcoming in our db that we don't have Production Designer available from our limited pick list of roles, so I'm guessing our editors opt for Art Director (myself included) to include PD. No sleights intended. We have a long punch list of items that need addressing, unfortunately. As partial justification: Since 1929 the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences grants an Art Direction Award to an outstanding Production Designer. An Art Director may only be considered eligible for an Oscar when there is no Production Designer credited. (Wikipedia) :roll:

I've been really looking forward to East Wind, Rain ever since I first saw some of the production stills. Very impressive indeed!
dleedlee
HKMDB Immortal

Postby cheungchowai » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:39 pm

It's been a great discussion with you. Thank you !!!!!!!!!!
By the way, people have been comparing East Wind, Rain with The Message, starring Zhou Xun. Guess that's why the screening schedule of the former has been put off, probably to the X'mas. Hope it'll be a good one.
Cheerios.
cheungchowai

Postby dleedlee » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:50 pm

I definitely want to see The Message! The visual style does look comparable from the stills I've seen. Hopefully, this will mean double goodness. :D
dleedlee
HKMDB Immortal

Postby cheungchowai » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:16 am

And both movies are about espionage.
cheungchowai

Return to Hong Kong Movies