A not unqualified bonanza

Discussions about Hong Kong Movies

A not unqualified bonanza

Postby ewaffle » Sat May 29, 2010 6:53 am

I picked up another of those ""50 Movie DVD Collections: Essentials for Martial Arts Fans". 27 of them were identifiable as Hong Kong movies based on a quick trawl through HKMDB and a few other sites. Of these I have seen nine while two of the 18 unwatched will probably remain that way based on reviews here from members who I often look to for recommendations: "Tiger Love" and "The Crazy Instructor". With a discount coupon Border's had emailed the boxed set cost $12.50 so depending on put 16 or all 18 of them in the stack to watch the cost is either 78 cents or 69 cents per movie, knowing that many if not most will be poor transfers with odd dubbing and even more odd framing of what winds up on the DVD.

Still not the worst deal ever. :D
"I stopped being half-witted and became sly whenever I took the trouble."
Samuel Beckett, "Molloy"
ewaffle

Re: A not unqualified bonanza

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Sun May 30, 2010 1:13 am

ewaffle wrote:I picked up another of those ""50 Movie DVD Collections: Essentials for Martial Arts Fans". 27 of them were identifiable as Hong Kong movies based on a quick trawl through HKMDB and a few other sites. Of these I have seen nine while two of the 18 unwatched will probably remain that way based on reviews here from members who I often look to for recommendations: "Tiger Love" and "The Crazy Instructor". With a discount coupon Border's had emailed the boxed set cost $12.50 so depending on put 16 or all 18 of them in the stack to watch the cost is either 78 cents or 69 cents per movie, knowing that many if not most will be poor transfers with odd dubbing and even more odd framing of what winds up on the DVD.

Still not the worst deal ever. :D

Hey, sometimes these sets are about the only way to see these movies at all! When there's simply no other option, even from the countries that made them :( , a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. ;) I have a Martial Arts 50 Movie Collection from Mill Creek or Brentwood/BCI or something like that and I'm wondering if there's much overlap between it and the one you bought. Mine looks to be the same grungy old transfers and dubs, but I'd probably grab this newer one if it featured a significant number of different films. I think mine is this version (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007DBJUU/) only with a different cover featuring a non-descript Asian dude. Any chance there's a link for the one you picked up, Ed?
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Masterofoneinchpunch » Mon May 31, 2010 4:09 am

I do find that some of the films listed here as HK for martial art movies are actually (or I suspect) from Taiwan. Especially in those collections since sooooooo many were made.

I wish we would not always have to get crappy copies from Brentwood or Video Asia (boo), but yeah some of those are definitely good deals and/or the only place to see some of those films (like some of the Tai Seng releases with Ric Meyer's commentary :D).
My Amazon Reviews

“That’s Icky to Infinity.” – The Tick
Masterofoneinchpunch

Postby ewaffle » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:10 am

OOPS--looks like I bought the same set of 50 movies a couple of years ago.

So now I have two of them. At least it was only about @12.50... :oops: :lol:
"I stopped being half-witted and became sly whenever I took the trouble."
Samuel Beckett, "Molloy"
ewaffle

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:26 pm

That's a shame. Here I was hoping I could double my public domain pleasure. :( ;)
Brian Thibodeau

Return to Hong Kong Movies