Ebert & Roeper rave about THREE EXTREMES

Discussions on Asian cinemas: Japanese, Korean, Thai, ....

Ebert & Roeper rave about THREE EXTREMES

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:58 pm

It's the last one on the list of this week's reviews (week of Nov 5-6) at their website. You can listen to the audio for free. No video, but the audio from the clips is still present. Ebert even references the longer, "transgressive" cut of Dumplings.

http://tvplex.go.com/buenavista/ebertandroeper/today.html
Brian Thibodeau

Postby bkasten » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:26 am

Wow. I am really surprised. After watching Dumplings, given the theme, I generally figured US distributors wouldn't get within several bargepoles' reach of that film...on the other hand it's a great film to stir up controversy, and generate sales.

So these two give it a big thumbs up? Now I am now wondering if I should find some reason to dislike it... :wink:

I haven't listened to it. Did he use the word "transgressive"?
bkasten
Administrator

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:26 am

I haven't listened to it. Did he use the word "transgressive"?

How did you guess? :lol:

Can't remember which one said it, but the word does come up near the end. Personally, I'd say it's an apt word to describe such an amazing film. The review IS worth a listen. They are quite respectful of the filmmakers and take the requisite digs at American horror filmmakers for not having the nutsacks to make something like this. And in that, they're dead on.

Interesting you mention fundamentalism. That crossed my mind when I watched the film, actually, and again when I listened to this review (they really emphasize caution to the audience). I doubt the film will achieve widespread release, especially down south or in the heartland. Big cities tend to be a little more liberal in their makeup: an audience wouldn't be hard to find for a two week gig in New York, L.A., Toronto, etc. Somehow, I just don't see it playing too many screens in Georgia, Kentucky, Texas. Or at the very least, I'm sure it would somehow manage to reinforce some strange misconceptions people might already have. Oh well, it's good to see there's still holdouts of reason and logic in your neck of the woods![/i]
Brian Thibodeau

Ebert Article on Bai Ling (and other blather)

Postby Masterofoneinchpunch » Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:59 pm

Ebert knowledge is a little weak on HK films (quite knowledgable about Japanese film though I have read some mistakes in his Japanese reviews) though he has reviews for several popular HK/Mainland films i.e. The Eye (**1/2), In the Mood for Love (***), Legend of the Drunken Master (***1/2), Hero (***1/2), House of Flying Daggers (****), Chungking Express (***), Shower (***), Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (****) etc...)

FYI Three Extremes is the first time he has reviewed anything by Takashi Miike

Here is his Bai Ling article:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbc ... /510250301

Here is the written review of Three Extremes:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbc ... 26001/1023
Masterofoneinchpunch

Return to Asian Movies