Shen Xia Fei Tong / The Golden Sword (1969)

All requests to identify actors in images.

Shen Xia Fei Tong / The Golden Sword (1969)

Postby Chen Hung Lieh » Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:03 am

Does anyone recognize the leading actor in the first image? Credited as "Whao Pao", unfortunately the Chinese credits have been zoomed out of the picture.

https://hkmdb.com/db/movies/images.mhtm ... ay_set=eng

I added 徐蘭香 Chi Lan-Shang (romanized according credits) as a new person with portrait, assuming it must be her as she's credited as leading actress alongside Whao Pao and Feng Hai.
I tagged Chen Hui-Lou (uncredited) so I can't hurt if someone can look it over.

My copy is lacking the first part of the credits, so I don't know the actual on-screen title. I copied the original title from Douban (I doubt the Mainland vhs cover shows an original title).

A Chinese site names Popular Films (新和興) as production Company, but I still chose Hsin Jia Hsing (新佳興), because this company is confirmed on the poster of "Dinosaur Fights Against Cosmic-Men", a movie with several parallels in cast and crew.
Last edited by Chen Hung Lieh on Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chen Hung Lieh
HKMDB Editor

Re: Shen Xia Fei Tong (1969)

Postby Chen Hung Lieh » Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:59 pm

Chen Hung Lieh wrote:Does anyone recognize the leading actor in the first image? Credited as "Whao Pao"
Now I noticed some resemblance with Ai Chi-San, but on his Hkmdb portraits he appears a bit fatter:
https://hkmdb.com/db/people/images.mhtm ... ay_set=eng

Some more screenshots:

-----

Maybe Tao Shu?
Chen Hung Lieh
HKMDB Editor

Postby J.J.Hayden » Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:25 pm

I'd say you're spot on with saying it's Ai Chi-san: the overall shape of the face fits; obviously the mole on the chin is real; the shape of the nose and nostrils; the mouth, lips and philtrum; the shape of the ears. All seems to march for me.

I assume that the new name was to used when trying to launch him as a leading man.

Nice job.
J.J.Hayden
HKMDB Editor

Postby Chen Hung Lieh » Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:45 pm

Thanks Hayden. And welcome :D I will wait 1-2 weeks and then add Ai Chi-San. The mole must indeed be real as he's playing the good guy, lol.

If Whao Pao is an alias of Ai Chi-San, I also wonder if Chen Chien might be an early alias of Chen Hui-Lou (in his role as the Master of the title character, he would be worthy enough to be credited) and/or Chi Lan-Shang an alias of someone I just failed to recognize.
Chen Hung Lieh
HKMDB Editor

Postby J.J.Hayden » Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:54 pm

Thanks.

You may be onto something there too with the Chen Chien being an alias. I don't think it will be for Chi Lan-shang as a separate credit for her is included in the same credits. But Chen Hui-lou is certainly a possibility, as I don't see his name in that cast list and the Chinese text for both Chen's ( 陳 ) appears to be the same. Though this doesn't prove this theory to be correct, it certainly prevents it from being ruled out at this point.

Cheers
J.J.Hayden
HKMDB Editor

Postby Michael Kistner » Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:52 am

I don't watched the movie, but that image

https://hkmdb.com/db/movies/image_detai ... ay_set=eng

looks for me not like Chen Hui-Lou
Michael Kistner
HKMDB Immortal

Postby Chen Hung Lieh » Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:33 am

Michael Kistner wrote:I don't watched the movie, but that image

https://hkmdb.com/db/movies/image_detai ... ay_set=eng

looks for me not like Chen Hui-Lou

Thanks.

Deleted Chen Hui-Lou.

Well, this also solves my Chen Chien alias speculation.

I will post more screenshots of that actor this evening. He looked familiar at the first glance to me, but apart from Chen, no specific name came to my mind.
Chen Hung Lieh
HKMDB Editor

Postby Chen Hung Lieh » Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:33 pm

Did a small clip of that actor (no download needed, just click "preview"):

https://icedrive.net/s/4uuQzSCPXY21Gk1wWajD6bbg7VC9
Chen Hung Lieh
HKMDB Editor

Postby Chen Hung Lieh » Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:27 pm

I think I found out which person is behind 徐蘭香 Chi Lan-Shang (romanization according movie credits).

I found a hint on a chinese website:
金玫曾被要求更改藝名為「徐蘭香」以進軍國語片,遭金玫拒絕。
Translation: "Chin Mei (金玫) was once told to change her stage name into 徐蘭香 to enter the Mandarin film business, but she refused."
So I looked up Chin Mei's Hkmdb profile and felt she looks a lot like Chi Lan-Shang. Although she reportedly refused to change her stage name, it seems to have happened in at least one of her first Mandarin movies, Shen Xia Fei Tong (AKA Golden Sword). She did only Hokkien movies before.

徐蘭香 Chi Lan-Shang (Golden Sword screenshots):
ImageImageImage

Chin Mei:
https://hkmdb.com/db/people/images.mhtm ... ay_set=eng

If nobody expresses serious doubts, I will merge the two.
Chen Hung Lieh
HKMDB Editor

Postby J.J.Hayden » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:03 pm

Yet again, I agree with you, it looks to me like it's probably the same person. Nice work. Perhaps the situation was that SHE refused to change her name, but the studio had other ideas :P
J.J.Hayden
HKMDB Editor

Return to Actor Identification