Date changes for 3 films

Additions and modifications to the database

Date changes for 3 films

Postby J.J.Hayden » Wed Jun 26, 2024 1:53 pm

Hello all

I'd always planned to question the dates of two films that I've done research on, but I'd never got round to it until a topic questioning another film's date came up on KFF. So I'm planning to change these dates unless someone can give me compelling evidence otherwise, here we go:

https://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=9395&display_set=eng
Sheng Tiao Hero [1982] – I believe this is actually from 1983, firstly we have the KMDB listing the film as 1983 and the release date in Korea being 01Feb1984, but I've not seen anything official saying 1982. Then there is also a behind the scenes photo I have of Won Jin with Meng Fei who is in the costume he wears in this film, I can't see the date myself on the pic, but in the caption, Won Jin said it was taken in July 1983. Finally is a less solid piece of evidence (but worth mentioning because if I'm right about the next film, it pieces together nicely), that being I believe this and Legend Of Peach Blossom were filmed at the same time or one after the other, many of the cast and crew are the same and it would make sense to film as much as possible with all that talent together. Actually I've just remembered that when trying to find this film it was a nightmare due to several other film and TV projects sharing the same or similar names and release dates, which might help explain a date being mixed up.

https://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=19523&display_set=eng
Legend Of Peach Blossom [1980] – I believe this film is also from 1983, firstly there's the fact the KMDB shows the year as 1983 and the release date in Korea being 10Dec1983, like above I've not seen anything official saying it's from 1980. Then as stated above, there's the very similar cast and crew (particularly among the Koreans), but something I spotted through my research of these people is that they look older than they did in 1980, some quite noticeably including one who put on some weight (which would continue throughout his career).

https://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=10063&display_set=eng
Challenge Of The Tiger [1980] – I've not done the research on this one myself, it was others on KFF who then asked me if I'd bring it up, but I find their research quite compelling so decided I would. Firstly there's a sign in the film for the Macau Jockey Club, the sign shows it's the Macau Trotting Club 2nd Anniversary, the first harness race was held at the (then called) Trotting Club was in September 1980. 1982 was also the year Bruce Le appeared in 2 other films for Dick Randall, Bruce Strikes Back and Pieces, so it'd make sense for them to have been shot back to back especially as (similar to the films I researched above) they share similar cast and crew. The original trailer mentions leading lady Nadiuska appearing in Conan The Barbarian, which was released in 1982 and apparently there are also references in the films dialogue to the year being 1982.

Well that's that, I'd be interested to see any counter evidence. If not, I'll change them shortly.

Cheers
J.J.Hayden
HKMDB Editor

Re: Date changes for 3 films

Postby yukabacera » Sat Jun 29, 2024 1:23 am

Sheng Tiao Hero - based on the Korean release date I agree with a change to 1984. Taiwanese records also list it as a 1984 release.

Challenge of the Tiger - I took the opportunity to research this one a bit. According to reports in the HK press the movie was announced at a press conference in early September 1982, at which point it had already been shooting for two weeks in Spain and was scheduled to go on to shoot in Hong Kong and Macau. Photography was said to be about one-third finished. The title was 滅絕七七. I wasn't able to dig up any evidence of a Hong Kong release, but it was planned. It was then listed as a 1983 release in Taiwanese records and was also released in Singapore in 1984. (both with the title 威龍神探) So I would support a year change to 1983 as the earliest verifiable release.

As for The Legend of Peach Blossom, surprisingly, I couldn't find it in any Taiwanese source. Based on your observations I think a change to 1983 is alright.
yukabacera
HKMDB Editor

Postby J.J.Hayden » Sat Jun 29, 2024 1:16 pm

Thanks @yukabacera for the input and taking the time to research. It's quite interesting that you found a Taiwanese release date for Sheng Tiao Hero, but a bit odd that there wasn't for Legend Of Peach Blossom. Curious. And you're right about the date for Sheng Tiao Hero should be 1984, it's been a while since I checked the rules about dates stuff and that it should be the release date rather than production date :P

Thanks for the research you did for Challenge Of The Tiger, you did some great work. Do you mind if I share the information you gathered with the KFF members, I'm sure they'd be very interested to see it?

I'll give it a bit more time to see if there's any counter-evidence (though due to the new evidence here, I severely doubt it) before I make the changes. Maybe another week or so should do.

Cheers
J.J.Hayden
HKMDB Editor

Postby J.J.Hayden » Thu Jul 11, 2024 4:05 pm

Well, since there doesn't seem to be any evidence against making the above changes, I've gone ahead with the update. But after doing the update for Challenge Of The Tiger, I noticed that putting in the Taiwanese release date as “1983” was displaying as 01/01/1983. I don't want people to think that it was released on that exact date, so I've moved the info down below the synopsis with the Singapore release year.

I was going to post this yesterday but I noticed more date related stuff (I'll post about it soon) so got a bit distracted, as usual. :P

Cheers
J.J.Hayden
HKMDB Editor

Return to Additions and Modifications