Postby Young Master » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:46 pm

Diamond Fight

I can confirm that following actors needs to be added into the cast:

Don Wong Tao

Wong Goon-Hung

Mizuno Yoko

Mang Fei

Phillip Ko Fei

I also questions the estimated year in the database since the movie looks to have been made in between 1980-1983. I would set 1982 as estimated year.
Your Kung-Fu just not any good...
Young Master

Postby Michael Kistner » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:37 am

I trust you and added the names to the cast.

With a look at the cast I think you could be right that the movie was made around 1982. Anyone objects if I change the year in a few days?
Michael Kistner
HKMDB Immortal

Postby Michael Kistner » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:42 am

Changed estimated year to 1982.
Michael Kistner
HKMDB Immortal

Postby Young Master » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:42 am

Thanks Michael :) I've added Executive Producer (Richard Cheung) and aliases for Ding Sin-Saai, Ma Gam-Chueng and Michael Chan Wai-Man.

These are leftovers that I can't deal with:

Executive Producer: David Chung

Associate Producer: Lei Wei Sheng and Chin Chang Liang

Cast: Showd-Zo (I think it’s Mizuno Yuko), Liu Ya Li, Tang Si, Chen Yun Pao, Yuan Shen,Tung Lin
Your Kung-Fu just not any good...
Young Master

Re: Diamond Fight, cast additions + change year

Postby Teddy Wong » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:37 am

What is the year of "Diamond fight"????

By the look of the movie it seems, like made in 1981-1983
Now it is listed under 1981 - but how accurate is this date?

At first it was set as estimated year 1982:
I also questions the estimated year in the database since the movie looks to have been made in between 1980-1983. I would set 1982 as estimated year.

There was also a "Superioir knife" entry, that appeared to be the same movie as "Diamond fight". But "Superior knife" was listed under the year 1978. "Superior knife" page was created by heinz Germany based on magazine scan - http://hkmdb.com/db/images/movies/14852 ... 78-1-b.jpg
What year was this magazine released and what was the reason to set "Superior knife"s year as 1978?

And what was the reason to set "Diamond fight"s year as 1981?
Teddy Wong
HKMDB Editor

Postby calros » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:08 pm

changed to 1982 again.
calros
HKMDB Immortal

Postby Teddy Wong » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:26 am

changed to 1982 again.

But why?
I mean, is there any proof that it was made in 1982 (or any other year) or 1982 is still an estimated year?
Teddy Wong
HKMDB Editor

Postby calros » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:35 am

When we add the note "19XX is an estimated year" that means we do not know the exact year the movie was made.
calros
HKMDB Immortal

Postby Teddy Wong » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:04 pm

When we add the note "19XX is an estimated year" that means we do not know the exact year the movie was made.

Yes, but it was listed as 1981 estimated year a couple of days ago. Now you change it back to 1982 - again as estimated year. So there should be any clues that make you or any other editor decide on year of the movie. So what are the clues, that made some editor to change year to 1981, what are the clues that made some editor list "Superior knife" as 1979's, and what are the clues that made you change the year back to 1982 now?
Teddy Wong
HKMDB Editor

Postby calros » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:43 am

The clues are the cast and crew, but there is always a possibility of error or + - 5 years. Also, some movies are released a couple of years after the filming.
calros
HKMDB Immortal

Postby yukabacera » Sun Jun 09, 2024 1:04 pm

The current Chinese title (搏殺) of this movie is the title of the Singapore release. This is the title under which the HKFA lists it based on some materials in their collection, but I couldn't find any evidence of a HK theatrical release.
The titles 最高的一把刀 and Superior Knife were apparently added by heinz Germany in 2011 based on a magazine scan. The Chinese title has an error (it should be 的一把刀) and the English title is evidently a made-up literal translation.
雪亮的一刀 is the title of the Taiwanese (original?) theatrical release. Diamond Fight was the English title both in Taiwan and Singapore, as well as in the English-dubbed export version.
雪山飛刀 has been in the DB for years now but it seems a bit suspicious. Sounds more like a wuxia movie. I haven't seen Diamond Fight, so I don't know if there really are "snowy mountains" and "flying blades" in the story, but either way I couldn't trace this title anywhere.
Death Trap is very generic, so it's hard to find any info on this title as well.

If nobody disagrees, I will change the primary Chinese title to 雪亮的一刀 and relegate 搏殺 to an alias, as well as delete the Superior Knife alias. It would also be nice to find more info on the 雪山飛刀 and Death Trap titles.
yukabacera
HKMDB Editor

Postby Chen Hung Lieh » Sun Jun 09, 2024 9:56 pm

yukabacera wrote:It would also be nice to find more info on the 雪山飛刀 and ...

I found two movie magazines from HK and Taiwan with google:

https://www.ruten.com.tw/item/show?11080218065787
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224835248174

Watched this years ago, but I don't understand this title either.
Chen Hung Lieh
HKMDB Editor

Postby yukabacera » Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:46 am

Chen Hung Lieh wrote:I found two movie magazines from HK and Taiwan with google:

Thanks and nice work finding those. Well, I don't really mind the logic as long as the alias is valid, although it does make me wonder about the relationship between the 最亮的一把刀 and 雪山飛刀 aliases. As Teddy Wong pointed out, it isn't really clear whether heinz's 1978 date was an estimate or based on the date of the magazine. Evidently it came first and was a (pre-?)production title since the ad lists Hidemi Aoki and Ken Kazama as the Japanese stars, which doesn't match the final product. I guess then that 雪山飛刀 was an immediate pre-release title since it appeared in 1981.
yukabacera
HKMDB Editor

Return to Additions and Modifications