Unparalleled Judo Knife (1970) Chien Lung, directors

Additions and modifications to the database

Unparalleled Judo Knife (1970) Chien Lung, directors

Postby Chen Hung Lieh » Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:35 pm

https://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml? ... ay_set=eng

1)
I updated crew credits and even though movie credits name Chow King-Yin for planning, HKMDB only listed Chien Lung for that job before. Can I safely remove him or is this credit based on facts I'm not aware of?
It's pretty hard to find information about this movie online. Apart from Korea tapes, China-VCD's and a newspaper ad I found nothing.

2)
I couldn't find usual director credits in the movie, only two executive directors who were already listed as directors in HKMDB (Richard Tung Chin-Hu and Wu Min-Hsiung). HKFA and the HK newspaper ad call them executive directors, too. So I added them as such. I have to admit I know a s**t about the job of an executive director and if it can include the conventional understanding of directing. Is it okay to list them in both jobs? One of the two jobs might be redundant now, but I don't dare to ignore the original movie credits.
Chen Hung Lieh
HKMDB Editor

Re: Unparalleled Judo Knife (1970) Chien Lung, directors

Postby Harlock » Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:08 pm

I trust you again on that :D

planning director, maybe they mean planning and director ?? it would make sense since Hou Cheng mostly have director credits
Harlock
HKMDB Immortal and Co-Developer

Postby Chen Hung Lieh » Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:04 pm

Harlock wrote:I trust you again on that :D
Thanks Harlock, the problem is that I don't trust myself this time, LOL
I already encountered the "executive director only" problem in King of Gambler II.
Another theory could be that Chinese credits are wrong, which would be nothing extraordinary, but how to be sure? Provided this job can also include conventional directing, I would find it nice if Bob could make it automatically appear at the director's position in cases of non-existing director credits, just like it already works with "martial arts designer" and "martial arts director" which both appear above the list of actors.

I better wait some time before removing Chien Lung. Someone added him, but why? Maybe some editors have rare stuff like an original poster or lobby cards? I wish I could find out (I'm personally interested in this too^^)

Harlock wrote:planning director, maybe they mean planning and director ?? it would make sense since Hou Cheng mostly have director credits
A little blurry (Mainland VCD), but I think this is meant as one word:
Chen Hung Lieh
HKMDB Editor

Postby Chen Hung Lieh » Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:00 pm

Just now found out that only the first HK newspaper ad called them executive directors. The last two ads called them co-directors 聯合導演.
(a nice looking ad by the way, see hkpl.gov.hk result 2, page 24)
Chen Hung Lieh
HKMDB Editor

Postby Harlock » Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:19 pm

nice find !! when only co-director credits we should leave them as director imo, and i would delete executive credits, i leave that to you
Harlock

Postby Chen Hung Lieh » Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:37 pm

What if they really did both jobs and the credit writers just didn't bother to name them twice? Now we have one official source saying executives that we can't disprove and one inofficial source supporting our daring idea that they must have been at least one director^^ As long as we have no more information, I find it defensible to list them in both jobs.
Last edited by Chen Hung Lieh on Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chen Hung Lieh
HKMDB Editor

Postby Harlock » Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:00 pm

so far i never see a director who is also an executive director on the same movie... and i have check a lot of credits, not saying its impossible...
Harlock

Postby Chen Hung Lieh » Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:05 pm

Harlock wrote:so far i never see a director who is also an executive director on the same movie... and i have check a lot of credits
This is indeed a good argument to delete the executives. I have not checked so much credits yet, so I didn't figure that out.
Chen Hung Lieh
HKMDB Editor

Postby Chen Hung Lieh » Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:11 pm

I have been convinced now and deleted the executives.
Chen Hung Lieh
HKMDB Editor

Postby Harlock » Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:13 pm

:D
Harlock

Postby Chen Hung Lieh » Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:48 pm

Removed Chien Lung.
Chen Hung Lieh
HKMDB Editor