Connie Chan website

Discussions about Hong Kong Movies

Connie Chan website

Postby duriandave » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:30 am

I just wanted to let you know that the new Connie Chan website, http://www.moviefanprincess.com, is now up and running.

Enjoy!
duriandave

Postby bkasten » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:50 am

Very nicely done.
bkasten
Administrator

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:44 pm

Agreed!

Love the use of the vintage photos and posters, folds, tears and dog-ears intact! Definitely adds to the nostalgic flavour!
Brian Thibodeau

the new connie web site

Postby stooges0 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:49 am

we need a message discussion section and a special section special cater to inform what movie has major problem for example original theatre showing it is color when the dvd or vcd came out it is bw. or which section of the movie have chop off scene and what the chop off was etc...

I feel this is very important that we starts a mini database just specially to keep track all the problem movie that came out and also include the manufacturer who brought them out this way we can get an idea who has been bringing out movie with the worst in quality and in what % they are so the next time we see any addition movie coming out by this same company we can be alert.
stooges0

Postby duriandave » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:50 am

Thanks guys! for the kind words.
duriandave

Postby Fan » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:07 am

Impressive, keep up the good work!

Among her movies, I like this one the most.
Fan

Postby duriandave » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:28 am

Yes, Young, Pregnant and Unmarried is a good one--very funny! A review of it will be going up on the site in a couple of weeks.
duriandave

Postby dleedlee » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:24 pm

Has anyone picked up any of the recent DVD versions released by Pearl City, e.g., Story of the Sword and Sabre I and II, Glorious Christmas Night, Supreme Sword, A Nice Bird, Young, Pregnant and Unmarried, Girl in The Mist, etc? I wondering whether they just ported the vcd version to DVD or, possibly, remastered them? I know it's a long shot.
???? Better to light a candle than curse the darkness; Measure twice, cut once.
Pinyin to Wade-Giles. Cantonese names file
dleedlee
HKMDB Immortal

Postby duriandave » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:19 pm

I will probably pick up one of the Pearl City DVDs fairly soon and I'll let you know. If it were a direct port from the VCD, would that mean that the picture would still be VCD quality?
duriandave

Postby dleedlee » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:38 pm

That's sort of what I'm trying to figure out, whether it's worth upgrading or not, besides the two discs versus one disc factor. I have Nice Bird being delivered from yesasia but I don't have the vcd version for comparison. I guess I'll be able to tell though.
dleedlee
HKMDB Immortal

Postby MrBooth » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:34 pm

dleedlee wrote:That's sort of what I'm trying to figure out, whether it's worth upgrading or not, besides the two discs versus one disc factor.

Or you could make your own DVDs from VCD... you can fit 4 or 5 VCD movies (i.e. 8-10 discs!) on one single layer DVD-R. I've archived most of my (admittedly small) vcd collection this way... if you're dedicated enough you can even make a disc with menus :wink:
MrBooth
HKMDB Immortal

Great Chan Bo Chu website

Postby jenb » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:53 am

I like the website and I think I can help contribute to writing some of the summaries for some of the movies Ihave watched. I seem to remember the reason behind this brainchild was to let the English speaking know about her and her movies. I visit another Chan Bo Chu website where all are welcome but most type their messages in Chinese. Some of them are biased to people who don't do Chinese. But good thing, I found a way to type Chinese so I can get information from them.

Now, they mentioned your website. And I told them you are from HKMDB - maybe you guys can be friends :-)

Young, Pregnant and UnMarried I felt was one of her funniest movies. I wish she did more comedies, she is real good at it. But back then she was the Asian version of American version of Sandra Dee.

The movie is about elder sister gets pregnant and she needs to hide it from her parents. Her sister, played by Chan Bo Chu is the parents' favorite daughter so she pretends she is pregnant. But prior to that, next door neighbor wants son (Lu Kei) to marry Chan and she is not interest. So she makes believe she is ugly and nearsighted and picks her nose. He in turn does not want to marry her so he pretends to be crippled and has a twitch...that scene was hilarious - very famous scene that in the Concert 2003, her son and Chan Ho Yee did the same scene.

Anyways, scene changes where the sister is pregnant and Chan has to pretend she is. It is what she does to irritate her parents and annoy people around her. By then, Lu Kei likes Chan after they met again, and he thought she got pregnant for real - then he tries to find out the truth.

It is a simple story but it was well done

Ican give more if this is something u like to see

Now in as far as the DVD, too bad, I got the vcds first - I think it is just a direct transfer - so dont quote me on it

if the someone who gets the DVD wants a comparision , i can compare with you with my vcd version

Let me know,

Sue
jenb

movie update

Postby stooges0 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:15 am

movie young & pregnant

anyone know what happened to the actress who played connie sister? her name was 'fong xum' she seems to be a pretty good actress.

movie: charming bird (mai yan shiu liu) brought out by pearl city video
did you know that the actress who played george the pilot helping connie to get lui kay jealous is actually in real life is lui kay sister

Yes I agree to what one of the above message saying about www.chanpochu.net where people are bitching and cursing when they see a message that is NOT written in Chinese or when it is a message who is written by a foreigner or a message to something they don't like
but one thing though that sight do give lots of nice updated information as long as you look and don't post any message in you should be fine
stooges0

upcoming connie chan concert 2006

Postby stooges0 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:27 am

Connie Chan will have another concert in just a few days in hk
I saw this message in www.chanpochu.net and I thoght i copy it over here . see the area that I [ ] out.

Since spring time production is the company that is bringing out this show it will be nice if all connie fan around the world email in and ask them to bring out the whole show with no cut into dvd to support all region for all of us who live oversea. According to a recent interview from a hk radio station that you can see the broadcast in video & listen to the interview at the same time this concert will contain both pop songs and opera songs. The problem maybe (I can be wrong on this) I think emi owns the copyrite to the pop song and maybe crown record may own the copywrite on the opera song therefore in your email to spring time you may want to recommend maybe get the 2 record company to network together and bring out the full show. it is worth a try . the more email or phone call going to them they will listen. I saw this message I thought I transfer it over here. I would love to see this concert on dvd

[http://www.spring-time.com.hk/default.asp

email: info@springtimestage.com.hk

請各位香港﹐ 星加波﹐美國﹐英國﹐歐洲 等 各地朋友朋友 電郵給
春天舞台要求陳寶珠演唱會出 2006 dvd

please email or telephone spring time production and request the full connie chan 2006 concert to bring out onto dvd to support all region for us. the more people or email they get the better chance we will get it ]
stooges0

Postby duriandave » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:11 am

Thanks Stooges for the info about the concert. I really wanted to go to HK for the show (and the Connie Chan films being shown at the HK Film Archive as part of the Chor Yuen series)--but I can't take off from work right now.

Sue, I'm glad you like Moviefanprincess.com and I'm glad to hear that it was mentioned on Chanpochu.net. I do visit that site every now and then. I can't read Chinese, but I sometimes get some good information in English or follow the links to see what Connie is up to nowadays. Do you know the webmaster/webmistress?

Thanks for the summary of Young, Pregnant, and Unmarried! As for contributing, I have an idea that I'd like to email you about privately, if that's okay.

Stooges, someone else asked me to set up a forum, so I'll definitely look into it.
duriandave

Postby dleedlee » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:37 pm

duriandave wrote:I will probably pick up one of the Pearl City DVDs fairly soon and I'll let you know. If it were a direct port from the VCD, would that mean that the picture would still be VCD quality?

I watched the DVD version of CHARMING LITTLE BIRD aka YOUNG LOVERS this weekend. My observations: It doesn't seem to be an improvement over the vcd version. In fact, there are a couple of additional negatives. Besides the songs which have the original burnt in subs, the dialogue has unremovable Chinese subs (which stinks for doing screen captures). In addition, when I did do the captures it was virtually impossible to get a good one due to a serious case of the jaggies. I don't think it has to do with it being a PAL disc, I think I've done other PAL disc captures before without problems. As a gauge, it was worse than any Winson disc I've encountered. So, technical experts, is it because Pearl City just transferred the vcd up to DVD?

And after all that, this particular film's picture is badly faded. Supposedly in color, it's primarily black and white with moments of red occasionally. Plus, the story itself is pretty poor. Besides plenty of on location shots, including old Kai Tak Int'l Airport, the big action finale on the freighter is the only saving grace of the story. Prior to that, it's pretty slow going.

Conclusion, I wouldn't spend too much to replace the vcds if you already have them. The movie played fine, so most people won't care about the screen captures issues. But I also didn't like the forced subs. I might pick up a few selected titles but I probably won't rush out willy-nilly to 'upgrade' my Pearl City vcd collection.

stooges0 wrote:movie: charming bird (mai yan shiu liu) brought out by pearl city video did you know that the actress who played george the pilot helping connie to get lui kay jealous is actually in real life is lui kay sister

I didn't know that ! Thanks for that piece of information. I'll add that to the db if you don't mind. Do you happen to know her real name? She's listed in the db as Erica Lee Man.
dleedlee
HKMDB Immortal

Postby duriandave » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:31 pm

Thanks for the report Dennis. On the positive side, there's a few less DVDs for me to buy now.
duriandave

Return to Hong Kong Movies