ID Me: Two Champions of Shaolin (1980)

All requests to identify actors in images.

ID Me: Two Champions of Shaolin (1980)

Postby Gaijin84 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:50 am

http://hkmdb.com/db/movies/images.mhtml?id=6096&display_set=eng

Lots to ID here and some questions:

This actor is in the main group of Shaolin fighters, but was unidentified. However, all the fighters are grouped together in the actual credits. The only one missing was Chan Hung (2). I believe this portrait is Chan Hung (2) and I have identified it as such.

Another ID question...
ImageImageImage
These three actors play the Yuan brothers. The first one has the most important role of the three. Again, in the actual credits, there are a group of 3 actors that are unidentified, all whose family name is Chan. I believe that the first one in the credits (Chan Shu-Kei) is the first picture. As for the other two, we may have a clue from another movie. Chan Hon-Kwong is listed to have appeared in Legend of the Fox (1980). I found this screen shot on the page:
The guy on the far left certainly looks like the 2nd pic.
Here as well on the right.
This should allow us to ID him as well as the last brother (Chan Kei-San) and his pic (#3).
Sorry this is such a long-winded explanation, but I want to make sure people agree.

A final one...
This actor always appears in the movie as a duo with Lai Yau-Hing. The credit just after Lai Yau-Hing has no portrait attached. I believe that this pic is the next credit, Ha Kwok-Wing. Another credit without a portrait is the next one, Wong Ga-Leung. This may be him, as he also appears with those 2 previous actors.

Wong Ga-Leung also appears in Legend of the Fox. Is this him next to Chiang Sheng (1)?

Wow - this might be the longest post I've ever made. :P
Gaijin84
HKMDB Immortal

Postby MrBooth » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:16 am

I'm sold on all the Chans. Didn't quite follow the Ha Kwok-Wing/Wong Ga-Leung bit though...
MrBooth
HKMDB Immortal

Postby Gaijin84 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:59 pm

Didn't quite follow the Ha Kwok-Wing/Wong Ga-Leung bit though...

lol - i don't think i follow it either. I'll look again and try to work it out

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok - i'll try again :wink:

I'm a big proponent of the use of credit order to determine who is who. It seems that minor characters that have close roles in the film often appear next to each other in the credits.
There are 3 Wudang members that have prominent roles. One of the first is this guy:
The name Ha Kwok-Wing appears after Lai Yau-Hing, and is credited as having appeared in Legend of the Fox. I found this picture on LOF's image page:
The guy next to Chiang Sheng appears to be him. Enough to make an ID to the portrait? This is certainly debatable, as the another non-ID credit (Leung Cheuk-Kwan) appears in LOF.

Next:
Lai Yau-Hing (easily recognizable) always appears with this guy in the movie:
They both members of the Wudang clan and a duo that works with Chui Tai-Ping. In the credits, Wong Ga-Leung is listed two after Lai Yau-Hing. Wong Ga-Leung is listed as having appeared in Five Element Ninjas. This portrait apears on its page:
IMO, definitely the same guy. Is this Wong Ga-Leung?
Gaijin84
HKMDB Immortal

Postby MrBooth » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:53 pm

Ok, mostly follow... Wong Ga-Leung looks good to go, IMO.

Why do you think it's Ha Kwok-Wing rather than Leung Cheuk-Kwan for the first? Just where he appears in the credits? Where does LCK's name appear?
MrBooth
HKMDB Immortal

Postby Gaijin84 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:01 pm

Why do you think it's Ha Kwok-Wing rather than Leung Cheuk-Kwan for the first? Just where he appears in the credits? Where does LCK's name appear?

Excellent point. I was kind of thrown off when I found that LCK was also in LOF - I'll have to see the LOF credits to get this. I'll hold off on this for now.
Gaijin84
HKMDB Immortal

Postby MrBooth » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:07 pm

Yeah, I think there's a very good chance you're right, but I'd rather have a 3rd source to make an ID from, before it becomes folklore :-)

Chang Cheh did tend to use the same actors a lot, and there's a good chance both those actors can be found in more films from the same period. Somebody has given Ha Kwok-Wing a role name in HEAVEN & HELL, which suggests they know who he is...
MrBooth
HKMDB Immortal

Postby Gaijin84 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:09 pm

Interesting, I found the first guy again, this time in The Five Venoms:
The unidentified credit Ha Kwok-Wing was in the midst of the police officers credits, which is the role this picture portrays.
I think this can pretty much confirm that this is indeed Ha Kwok-Wing.
Gaijin84
HKMDB Immortal

Return to Actor Identification