Zodiac Fighters (1978) Chinese title

Additions and modifications to the database

Zodiac Fighters (1978) Chinese title

Postby Chen Hung Lieh » Thu Aug 29, 2024 5:53 am

https://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml? ... ay_set=eng

I'm going to make the current Alias 十二生肖 the Chinese main title in 2-3 weeks.
I won't keep the current main title 十二生南 as an alias, unless someone comes up with a source.
Chen Hung Lieh
HKMDB Editor

Re: Zodiac Fighters (1978) Chinese title

Postby J.J.Hayden » Thu Aug 29, 2024 1:40 pm

The KMDB has the main Hanja as 十二生南 and 十二生肖 as an alias, so presumably there is a some source where the title 十二生南 is coming from (maybe on datasheets), though I couldn't find any posters etc. that featured this title, so it might be best to move it to aliases. Then again, maybe they got that title from the HKMDB? I'm not sure what to suggest. Anyway, I also added the Hangul title to aliases.

But I also found something else: The Korean film Twelve Martial Arts [1978], directed by Lee Hyeok-soo, features footage from The Zodiac Fighters in a few sequences and also has photos of the cast from Zodiac all over the poster, even though most never appear in it.

Interestingly it doesn't seem to be a cross-over film, even though The Taoist Fighters features Korean actor Kim Se-ok, it just seems like the scenes were cut and pasted into it, which I've actually not come across very often in a Korean film, usually it's Godfrey Ho doing it the other way round :P

I'll create a page for it at some point. Once I've had a proper good look over the film, just to be sure there's no cross-over scenes.
J.J.Hayden
HKMDB Editor

Postby Chen Hung Lieh » Thu Aug 29, 2024 8:29 pm

J.J.Hayden wrote:The KMDB has the main Hanja as 十二生南 and 十二生肖 as an alias, so presumably there is a some source where the title 十二生南 is coming from (maybe on datasheets), though I couldn't find any posters etc. that featured this title, so it might be best to move it to aliases. Then again, maybe they got that title from the HKMDB? I'm not sure what to suggest. Anyway, I also added the Hangul title to aliases.

From my experience, KMDB collects all Chinese aliases they can find in the web, no matter if valid or not. So they don't necessarily have a valid source for their chinese main titles either.

(btw. I removed the Korean title and added it again on the BIG5 page. You added this on the english page which caused the title to appear as gibberish on the BIG5 page.)

I think 南 was just a mistake, because in 2003 it was the only title and the real title was added much later (according web.archive.org). It wouldn't be the first time we have a "rare" title that nobody is able to prove while the obvious and well-documented title was not even an Alias for a long time.

I don't know how the character "南/South" could make sense in this context. You can look up the full term 十二生肖 in nearly every dictionary and there are tons of books and several movies about them, I can't find a single one saying 南 instead of 肖.

But there's a Korean vhs cover "十二生省", how about we add this instead? Probably a mistake, too, but at least we have a source.
https://oldcine.co.kr/product/detail.ht ... ay_group=1
Chen Hung Lieh
HKMDB Editor

Postby J.J.Hayden » Fri Aug 30, 2024 3:17 pm

The Hangul title in aliases was messing up the main title on the Big5 page?! That's irritating. Thanks for moving it for now, I guess it's some coding issue or something, maybe Harlock can figure it out.

EDIT: I see what you mean now, I misunderstood. You weren't talking about the main title, just that the Hangul was showing up as gibberish on the Big5 page and needs to be added there manually.... I have some work to do :P

See, this is why it's great to have someone who really knows Chinese characters, I saw that VHS but thought it was just 十二生肖 written in a fancy way :P I'd definitely say it's worth adding 十二生省 , as you say, there is a real source for it.

I also found a way to get that vhs cover image, so I've added that too.

Cheers
J.J.Hayden
HKMDB Editor

Return to Additions and Modifications