Permission to link pics

Additions and modifications to the database

Permission to link pics

Postby pjshimmer » Thu Feb 01, 2001 4:39 am

If we find a picture/link that seems suitable to put a link to here, do we have to ask for permission from its webmaster first or can we just go ahead and link?<br><br>
<b>"Film will only become an art when its materials are as inexpensive as pencil and paper."</b> -- Jean Cocteau

What's a good movie? <b>"You may love it; you may hate it. But let him who is not a ghost dare say that he has felt nothing."</b>
pjshimmer

Re: Permission to link pics

Postby STSH » Thu Feb 01, 2001 5:41 am

It is good netiquette to ask, and the webmaster might even offer you help when you do. Quite a few of them are pleased to help fellow HK film fans. But no, there's no real reason why you need to ask just to link.<br><br>If you want to actually COPY an image from another site then, yes, you really should ask first. Again, some webmasters are keen to help.<br><br><br><br><br>
STSH
HKMDB Immortal

Postby STSH » Fri Feb 02, 2001 12:11 am

Yes, I'm a bit concerned about that. I tried the image fetcher one day, not realizing that it simply grabs stuff, without having to jump through security hoops or giving warnings. The post I put up a few days ago was related to this, and I have now removed that image.<br><br>Would it be an idea to add a warning screen which says something like "have you sought the image owner's/webmaster's permission first ?" ?<br><br>
STSH
HKMDB Immortal

Postby pjshimmer » Sat Feb 03, 2001 4:35 am

Thanks for both of your input. I probably won't be grabbing any pics but maybe a few links with permission from other sites.<br><br>
<b>"Film will only become an art when its materials are as inexpensive as pencil and paper."</b> -- Jean Cocteau

What's a good movie? <b>"You may love it; you may hate it. But let him who is not a ghost dare say that he has felt nothing."</b>
pjshimmer

Return to Additions and Modifications